Views
Helpful
Replies

CCIE Service Provider Lab Exam

romccallum
Level 4
Level 4

Folks,

Any views on the best workbooks out there?

Hello computers or IE?

12 Replies 12

jacowen
Level 1
Level 1

romccallum,

I would say at this point their is only 1 workbook out there, IPExpert.net. I purchased the HelloComputers SP workbook and just found out they may have lost their ability to teach Cisco material, just check out their website, no mention of Cisco, or the forums for the Service Provider workbook. IPExpert is set to release an updated version of their wb sometime this month or next which I plan on getting. They also are releasing a proctor's guide which is a more detailed answer key than what they normally give out (but it will cost more).

Don't be like me and waste your hard earned $$$ on a waste of time like Hello, I am thinking of asking for my money back.

Jacowen,

Have you also evaluated IPExpert workbook?, since you mentioned about getting the updated workbook. I'm just wondering and confirming that there are no assumptions.

(I've seen neither and therefore have no opinions)

ive bought the workbooks and expect delivery some time next week so shall let you know what it looks like when I get a chance to review. I am hoping that the workbook 2.0 is free to us 1.0 people - it bleeding well better be

Sorry for warming up this old thread.

How did you like the workbooks, are there any recommendations you make?

Thanks

-birgit

olorunloba,

No, I haven't evaluated the IPExpert workbook, but if they are about to release a newer revision I can expect it to have much more updated information. I will be getting the newer version here very soon, maybe after I get my money back from Hello. I am just ready to get more spun up and knock this one out and move on to the Security IE. Good luck w/ your studies!

dawarner
Level 1
Level 1

The IE book is not a complete study guide. It does a good job on the basics, but is missing a lot of details you will need to pass the lab. Use it to lock in the basics and then start learning all of the nerd knobs for MPLS/BGP/OSPF/ISIS/MCast and you might pass. Good Luck.

Dan

IE work book is full of mistakes. The mistakes in version 1 have been repeated in ver 2. There are errors in answers. When I contacted them for errata they told me i am the first person asking that :(

de_vyas
Level 1
Level 1

Dear romccallum,

I do not know about the best books and truly not that competent to help u in anyway, but I have a question, pls do let me know the solution.

Q1. Whats the difference between (RD) Route Distinguisher and (RT) Route Target?

What I know is that RD keeps IP Prefixes from overlapping in MP-BGP and RT is used to help differentiate VPN routes.

Why cant RD do that?

deepak.vyas@wipro.com

You are correct in saying that the purpose of the RD is to assure uniqueness of the VPN prefixes in the VPNv4 network and that the RT is used to determine which VRFs will import these prefixes.

"Why can't RD do that?"

You are also correct that in simplistic scenarios, RD could have fulfilled both purposes. The problem is with more complex scenarios, where only using the RD would set a major restriction. Just think of extranet scenarios, where you want to share specific routes between two VPNs. This could not have been achieved using just the RD since you would have been forced to use the same RD in the two VPNs, which would have caused overlapping routes from these two VPNs to overlap in VPNv4. This defeats the purpose of MPLS VPN.

Using two different entities to play two different roles was a way to keep it more flexible.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Thanks a lot,

It has really helped me upto a great extent, will get back to u with more when i study further

thanks again

sarita_scott
Level 1
Level 1

CCIE Service Provider certification is for expert-level network engineers who have the skills to build an extensible Service Provider infrastructure.

lespejel
Level 3
Level 3

check Nick Russo's book

https://leanpub.com/ccie-spv4-comp-guide

CCIE 52804
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: