cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can i pin outgoing interface ip address with RT and/or loopback int. ?

bej
Level 1
Level 1

This is my problem :

I have one management site and 3 other sites, site A,B and C. The management site is represented by one VRF and is located on the router(made up of 3 loopback addresses, no physical interfaces, the site is located on one of the routers participating in the mpls domain). The 3 sites are fully meshed to each other in a "simple" VPN topology.

The management site is used only to telnet the other sites so only one prefix will be advertised to each site. The following prefixes is advertised:

To site A: 1.1.1.1/32 RT 100:100 tag 19 (vrf NMC)

To site B: 2.2.2.2/32 RT 100:101 tag 20 (vrf NMC)

to site C: 3.3.3.3/32 RT 100:102 tag 21 (vrf NMC)

I have checked and confirmed that each prefix is installed in the approriate site. When doing this i can only telnet or ping site A and by doing a debug i found the source of the problem. The source address when sending a packet is prefix 1.1.1.1/32(First loopback interface, normally would have been outgoing physical interface) which only site A

has installed in its route table. I could easily have solved the connectivity problem by advertising prefix 1.1.1.1/32 to site B and C or by assigning the loopback interfaces to different VRF's. What i want to achieve is to pin the source address to a route target and a loopback interface so that when sending a packet to site B the source prefix is 2.2.2.2/32 and when sending to site C the source prefix is 3.3.3.3/32.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you tried:

telnet /vrf NMC /source-interface lo1

telnet /vrf NMC /source-interface lo2

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you tried:

telnet /vrf NMC /source-interface lo1

telnet /vrf NMC /source-interface lo2

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Thank you. Is it possible to specify source interface when doing a ping or to change the source interface on a permanent basis ?

It is certainly possible when doing a ping:

r8#ping vrf NMC

Protocol [ip]:

Target IP address: 9.9.9.9

Repeat count [5]:

Datagram size [100]:

Timeout in seconds [2]:

Extended commands [n]: y

Source address or interface: 2.2.2.2

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way you could change the source address selection permanently based on which destination address the traffic is directed.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: