Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter-as multicast VPN not working.

If anyone has sucessfully configured inter-as multicast VPN. Can you please provide sample config. I am trying to get multicast VPN working in the scenerio below.

------AS#100------------AS#200---------

vpna-PE1-ASBR(RR)-----ASBR(RR)-PE1-vpna

9 Replies 9

romccallum
Level 4
Level 4

i will be very surprised mate if anybody on here will just post you the config and the answers. I would advise you to read up on the RFC and also to read up on MSDP for the multicasting issues. There are loads of gotchas that you need to understand first and us posting the configs and answers will be no benefit to you.

Robert,

Just as a precision, MSDP is not necessarely required if you use the MDT Address Family under MBGP to propagate the PEs membership to a given mcast group between the two ASes. This allows the PEs to use SSM and doesn't even require an RP for that matter.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1829/products_feature_guide09186a00802a5bd9.html

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

yep absolutely correct there harry. My only issue with the address-family mdt command is that its only supported on the 12k as far as i can see and not available (or works) on any other platform. Ive also misread the original question as i assumed no vrf's and this was only for inter-domain multicasting.

Thanks

Robert,

This feature is available in the 12.0S train and on any platform running that IOS train including GSR, 7500 and 7200.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

sory harry yes you are correct - its been a while - unfortunately tho 12ks are far too expensive to use as ASBR's - 7200's dont have the grunt to deal with the traffic profile that is required. That leaves me with the 7300 and the 7600 - oh well i will have to wait then ;-)

In the case you want to use a 7300, 7600 or any other device that doesn't run 12.0S then you will have to go the ASM way and use MSDP as you originally mentionned.

Cheers,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

thanks H sorry for any inconvenience

How if we use Type A, as define in Chapter 10:Multi-AS Backbones RFC4364 - BGP/MPLS IP Virtual Private Networks (VPNs)? Its a VRF-to-VRF connections at the ASBR, therefore, no EBGP redistribution of labeled VPN-IPv4 routes from AS to neighboring AS needed.

Then, do we still need MDT feature at the address-family ipv4 for the Type A inter-AS ?

you are correct there mate you do not need mdts when using back to back vrfs.