Views
Helpful
Replies

IP-FRR and LDP

novanova99
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am currently looking into IP-FRR as an alternative to MPLS FRR (RSVP based), especially in an multi-vendor network, and could appreaciate some feedback.

Whenever you see IP-FRR they often just speak of it being applicable for IP traffic only. In my network I have LDP for label distribution.

I am assuming that I can use IP-FRR also for the labeled traffic on Cisco, as the labels for all paths, includinhg the backup path, are already in my label database (LLR).

So why would I need separate support for LDP when using IP-FRR? As long as I I have the correct label for the backup path I should be fine.

Thanks for the clarification.

/Nova

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

HI Nova,

You are correct. Our first IPFRR implementation did not include MPLS support but this is coming soon. Please talk to your local account team for more details.

HTH

Laurent.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Laurent Aubert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Nova,

IP FRR is local to the router on which you configured it so there is no interoperability issue here. The support of LDP with IP FRR is in the road map so you should contact your Cisco account team for more information.

HTH

Laurent.

Hi Laurent,

thanks for the feedback.

When looking at the presentations about IP-FRR they always claim that I LDP tunnels do benefit from it, now I see that this does not seem to be the case.

As all the labels, including the ones for the backup path are already available, why is a special integration needed? Or is it just needed for certain software versions?

Can you please clarify this? Does LDP benefit from pure IP-FRR or not?

Thanks/Nova

HI Nova,

You are correct. Our first IPFRR implementation did not include MPLS support but this is coming soon. Please talk to your local account team for more details.

HTH

Laurent.

Hi Laurent,

thanks for clearing up my confusion. I saw some presentations from Cisco that state the IP-FRR benefits MPLS-labeled traffic.

Therefore I was unsure why I would need the LDP integration.

Regards

-Birgit