cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LDP TARGET SESSION

Ratheesh mv
Level 1
Level 1

I have read about MPLS targeted LDP session and MPLS LDP session protect. As per my understanding both the features are doing same thing .May I know the exact difference between them and the situation where can I use these features ?

Thanks in advance.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ratheesh,

Targeted LDP sessions are used to exchange labels between two peers that are generally not directly connected. It can be to exchange service labels (L2VPN), IGP labels (LDP overs MPLS TE tunnels) or LDP path protection.

LDP session protection uses targeted LDP session, but it is a different features. LDP session protection uses a LDP targeted session to exchange labels with a peer over a backup path that is not directly connected. This way if the directly connected path to the peer goes down, labels are already available over the non-directly connected backup path, which accelerates the convergence.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hey there, I am sure you can find a much better answer online on the Cisco
website but in essence:

A targeted session is just a session between non-adjacent devices. The
session protect is a mechanism by which a session is maintained up for a
while even when the actual control plane experiences disruption, this
allows the data plane traffic to be switched based on the last known labels
exchanged across the LDP session that is having problems.

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ratheesh,

Targeted LDP sessions are used to exchange labels between two peers that are generally not directly connected. It can be to exchange service labels (L2VPN), IGP labels (LDP overs MPLS TE tunnels) or LDP path protection.

LDP session protection uses targeted LDP session, but it is a different features. LDP session protection uses a LDP targeted session to exchange labels with a peer over a backup path that is not directly connected. This way if the directly connected path to the peer goes down, labels are already available over the non-directly connected backup path, which accelerates the convergence.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: