cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS load balancing between P to P and P to PE

PatelKunjal
Level 1
Level 1

I have below setup and trying to do Load-Balacing using MPLS-TE...is this possible??

L1 = P2 to P1

L2 = P2 to PE2

/PE1

/ |

P1   /  |

|\     \  |

|  \    \ |

L1   \  /PE2

|     X

|L2 / \PE3

|  /    / |

|/     /  |

P2   \  |

\ |

\PE4

Thank you in advance for your suggestions......

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Kunjal

In case the TE Tunnel goes down due to break in the next intermediate links we can use MPLS-TE FRR to achieve sub-50 ms convergence or else the TE Tunnel will fail (if using only explicit path and no dyanamic path option) and the routing will take the IGP path.

Regards

Varma

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Vaibhava Varma
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Kunjal

What are the endpoints between which you are trying to load-balance, MPLS-TE can help to achieve load-balancing between two PEs if we use two different TE Tunnels between same endpoints.

Regards

Varma

Hello Vaibhava,

Trying to load-balance source traffice from PE3 and PE4 destined to PE2 and PE1....

Thank You

HI Kunjal

It will depend upon how you are going to setup your TE-Tunnels ie whether PE-PE or PE-P and P-PE.

TE Tunnels can load-balance when they are configured between the same Tunnel Headend and Tunnel TailEnd so that all routes learnt behind them are seen as being learnt via behind the TE with the TE being the next-hop for same,

Regards

Varma

Hello Vaibhava,

I was thinking to build two tunnels as below....

P2 ---> P1 ---> PE2

P2 ---> PE2

but the I was concern about incase of link failure between P1 and PE2, what will happen to traffic.  Currently we have

redundancy between PE's at both sides......so if the tunnel is down would traffic still fallback to normal path, which is through PE1 router?? or I need to buid a seperate tunnels to P2 to PE1....

Thank You.

Hi Kunjal

In case the TE Tunnel goes down due to break in the next intermediate links we can use MPLS-TE FRR to achieve sub-50 ms convergence or else the TE Tunnel will fail (if using only explicit path and no dyanamic path option) and the routing will take the IGP path.

Regards

Varma

Hello Vaibhava,

Thank you very much for your prompt response...I have to do some reading on MPLS-TE FRR.  I will let you know how we approach this.

Thank You,