Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS VPN on C7200 series, looking for switch

desmond.liew
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am considering a Cisco 7204VXR router to do MPLS VPN. In my design, there will be two PEs, in between is a 1Gb link where multiple customers will share.

On both PEs, I need a switch where each individual customer will connect in via one port. On that switch, I will have a VRF for that customer.

My question is:

1. What model of switch must I get to support 1Gb of traffic?

2. What methods can I 'integrate' this with the C7200?

3. What addon modules do I need on the C7204? Will the NPE-G1 be sufficient for 1G traffic?

Initially, I thought of using C3945 with a 24 port switch module (SM-ES3-24-P) but I've read service providers using the C7200 for MPLS VPN so was wondering what they are using on the switch end.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Desmond,

1) as L2 switch almost all devices with GE ports are suitable for the task. if you look at using this as a Multi VRF CE you need something better then a C2960 but a C3750 or better. This would mean that the device works at OSI layer3.

Notice that devices like C3560 or C3750 may have a limit on number of VRFs supported that can be small (8 for C3560 in older IOS versions). So the number of VRFs to be supported plays a role here.

2)  an 802.1Q L2 trunk is enough one vlan for each customer/VRF. if using Multi VRF CE the C7200 will peer with the Multi VRF CE otherwise it will just have a connected route.

3) if possible use the built in ports on the NPE-G1 between two ports of the NPE-G1 you can go at 1,000,000 packet per second so it is not really line rate for small packets but it is enough for average traffic.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

desmond.liew
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Giuseppe,

Thanks for your reply. That's very enlightening.

1. Since switches have a VRF limit, I think the best way is a L2 switch and create VLANs for each clients. Then I'll trunk those VLANs to the C7204VXR (with NPE-G1). Then I don't need to worry how much VRF left on my switch and worry about the speed of the switch's switching fabric. Is that right?

2. Talking about the NPE-G1, someone introduced to me a Cisco document which states that the C7200 series supports an aggregated bandwidth of 300Mb. But different NPEs has different pps. If a packet size is 1500 bytes (MTU size) and NPE- G1 supports 1,000,000pps, does that mean it can support 1.5GBps?

desmond.liew
Level 1
Level 1

Here is that document which states the amount of aggregated bandwidth supported (page 7)

http://cisco.biz/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6557/prod_white_paper0900aecd8051fbdc.pdf