cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE CLI Login Loop after 3.3 upgrade

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

Recently I upgraded ISE VM from 3.2 patch4 to 3.3. After the upgrade, I was unable to access both CLI and GUI. GUI it does not open where as the CLI, soon after I enter the login credentials, it accepts and prompt again for the login. Multiple reboots no luck. it just loops whether I try directly from the VM console or from SSH. Tried searching in the forum and few suggested to check such issues can cause if is snapshot running but nothing. This ISE is a standalone.I do not see any issues to the Cisco switches as they are able to successfully authenticate using the ISE just that I am not able to login to ISE using admin credentials.

Any help would be appreciated.

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- How do you define this login loop exactly ? Do you get an authentication error when trying to logon , 
    if not what happens then ?
   + What in browser term means : GUI it does not open , what do you see in the browser (or post a screenshot of it)
   - When rebooting the VM could scrutinize  the boot process too and check if any errors are reported during boot up ->?
   - What could have happened is that the VM needs more resources, therefore when the ISE has booted , use
      the hypervisor and check the current CPU and Memory being used. If needed increase those parameters

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Login Loop, I have attached the screen shot. I enter the login credentials (Login.jpg), it accepts and then prompts me to login again (Post_login.jpg). There is no authentication error message. I have attached a sample authentication error message (Authentication_Error_Sample.jpg) as a reference that is not reflecting in the other 2 screens that attached.

GUI - From the web browser https://192.168.1.1 (ISE IP), it does not open. Message page cannot be displayed.

No errors during the boot process as it directly takes me the login prompt without any boot progress when powering on the VM or rebooting using the Guest OS reboot option

RAM Increased to 32 GB still no luck

>...RAM Increased to 32 GB still no luck
  - How does that compare to the actually memory used when the ISE-VM is booted (using the monitoring tools 
     from the hypervisor) ?

- For the rest , there is not much I can do or say ; I hope there was an application backup for instance from the ISE 3.2
    node (which should always have been done).
    Then one could restore this on a test-ise3.2 VM and try upgrading again (e.g.). Or even restore on a virgin 3.3 , which I think is
    supported.

- If all of that is not possible , contact Cisco TAC , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Added on 7/9 : another possibility is that one of the disk partitions is full , yet I don't know of any
                             methods to check that with the hypervisor (only)

M.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://community.cisco.com/t5/network-access-control/can-backup-from-ise-3-2-and-restore-to-ise-3-3/m-p/5140428#M590416

M.