Level 1
Level 1

What is the best?

CiscoWorks LMS 2.5 on SUN or WINDOWS?

Our specs:

-220 cisco devices

-1200 WorkStation

-much more remote access user

What is the perfect specification for 2.5?

Maybe it's a other software?

Someone have troubles whit 2.5 about % of cpu process and high utilization memory on windows...?

Thanks you very much.

Daniel

9 Replies 9

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

Sun

Hi Rizwan,

can you tell me why SUN?

Just few reasons because I don't have experience with SUN.

Thanks

Regards

Unlike Microsoft, strict guidelines and standards were/are enforced in the Unix world. That being said, Unix is a more stable and more scaleable solution. Period!

However, if you don't have a super large number of Cisco devices in your network to be managed and only have experience with the Microsoft OS - then Microsoft would be the smart way to go.

Just my opinion....

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Remember CW is not managing your end stations, so that number is inconsequential. For 220 Cisco devices, either platform would work fine, in my experience. As Rob observed (greetings from VA, Rob), if you don't have Solaris experience, the Windows-based solution has an easier entry level. Ive used Windows boxes to manage 600+ device systems quite nicely. Just dont skimp of RAM (2 GB minimum) and spring for the 2nd Xeon processor with HT.

Thanks,

what do you think about the combination of CiscoWorks LMS ( syslog analysis...) and Kiwi Syslog ?

Actualy, we use Kiwi. CiscoWorks can replace Kiwi?

Regards,

Daniel

My personal opinion is the syslog feature in CiscoWorks works quiet well. I'm assuming the devices are pointing to the address of the Kiwi server. I'm pretty sure devices can point to more than one syslog sever. If thats the case, you could point the devices to both and see which you like better. If you like CiscoWorks better, you could then change the devices to point to only one. If you have 200 devices to change, use the Netconfig tool.

Marvin:

you said 600+ device systems quite nicely on Windows.

I have some troubles with DFM ICMP Polling ( buffer overflow on Windows) and I have to restart the box once a week or two.

Do you tried this features and everything worked fine for you?

Thanks,

DL

Daniel,

I wasn't running DFM (or nGenius RTM or IPM). My installation was LMS + RWAN 2.2. RME and CM (including user tracking on 20,000 or so end stations) were the primary functions being handled by the Windows box (Dell Precision workstation, 2 x Xeon processors, 4 GB RAM).

Thanks!

What is your software suggestion for monitoring

(ressource availibility, polling, pagging ,etc) a network?

DL