Views
Helpful
Replies

9500-16x initial configuration

JohnRosso3555
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I am getting ready to configure my new pair of 9500-16x stack in stack-wise virtual. I want to use OOB on the management interfaces (Ge0/0) but documentation is not clear if the management VRF is totally different from the network VRF or if there is even a default VRF the way NX-OS does things. Also my switches seem to be hard-coded with switch 1 and switch 2. I try to blow them away with negating SVL, write erase, reload - but the SVL switch config is still there.

Any assistance would be grateful.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

if you want to route VRF route to static route to the gateway if you have OOB different gateway.

ip route vrf Mgmt-vrf 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x ( x.x.x.x  - OOB gateway part of IP address range in OOB)

make sure when you ping (default uses GRT table) so you need to specify VRF name to use VRF routing table as below :

ping vrf Mgmt-crf  x.x.x.x

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

here is SWV config between Cat9500

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9000/nb-06-cat-9k-stack-wp-cte-en.html

regarding Management, if you join both in the SWV - you have only 1 Management port active not both, but you can cable both of them to OOB setup, when the failover occurs another mgmt interface will be active.

here is config for mgmt interface :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9500/software/release/16-10/configuration_guide/int_hw/b_1610_int_and_hw_9500_cg/configuring_ethernet_management_port.html

Also my switches seem to be hard-coded with switch 1 and switch 2. I try to blow them away with negating SVL, write erase, reload - but the SVL switch config is still there.

if you want to factory reset 

factory reset config (do not use all it will erase IOS XE too)

BB

JohnRosso3555
Level 1
Level 1

I configured an IP address under the mgmt-VRF and used a global default gateway. However, I am wondering if the MGMT VFR is different from the network ports VRF? The MGMT does not seem to have a configuration for a static route or a default gateway option. How many I keep the MGMT port separate from the Network ports being that I want a totally different gateway for the MGMT than a global one?

if you want to route VRF route to static route to the gateway if you have OOB different gateway.

ip route vrf Mgmt-vrf 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x ( x.x.x.x  - OOB gateway part of IP address range in OOB)

make sure when you ping (default uses GRT table) so you need to specify VRF name to use VRF routing table as below :

ping vrf Mgmt-crf  x.x.x.x

BB

So it sounds like you are saying that the 9500 does come with an mgmt-VRF already built in along with the separate "default" VRF for the network ports. That's great. I'd rather not have to create any VRFs and mess with any of the default switch parameters.