Views
Helpful
Replies

Advice needed on the best network design

samipk1234
Level 1
Level 1

Untitled.png

Above is my network design, I wanted to ask whether it is optimal or should I make any changes to it to make it more efficient

Also is this layout good for STP as i am not getting much communication between the switches in this layout.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not see any issue here, as mentioned "no issue means" this is based on the requirement of the business what you intend to deliver.

there is no STP here Loops, since you are a connected hub and spoke kind of setup, so Layer 2 do not cross routers.

You Looking to Layer 2 extension between switches or wach site has it own VLAN 1 and with respected IP, that is good to go.

You need to have routing place to reach each other.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not see any issue here, as mentioned "no issue means" this is based on the requirement of the business what you intend to deliver.

there is no STP here Loops, since you are a connected hub and spoke kind of setup, so Layer 2 do not cross routers.

You Looking to Layer 2 extension between switches or wach site has it own VLAN 1 and with respected IP, that is good to go.

You need to have routing place to reach each other.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since you have L3 switches, and links from S4 to S1 are Ethernet, it's possible you don't need R4.

Since R1 and R2 links to R3 are serial, they likely offer less bandwidth than your FE links, so, you might want to consider for those links, QoS and/or multiple serial links and/or MAN/WAN Ethernet to mitigate the likely bottlenecks of those links.

As Balaji notes, you don't have any L2 loops, so STP, isn't needed.  Further, again, as you're using L3 switches, if you continue to do so, you could route between them further avoiding L2 loops and better using any redundant path bandwidth.  That said, even when STP isn't needed, by design, it's always a very good idea to have it enable to preclude the creation of a L2 loop, by accident.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: