Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

As a network engineer should I learn Linux or Python

hfakoor222
Participant
Participant

I'm about to start applications for network engineering positions. I do litigation/cyber fraud forensics.

My SQL skills on a technical level are pretty decent, I have a SQL Expert cert through Oracle, although almost 0 database management experience, however I'm taking a graduate level SQL database enterprise course. I've done machine coding and routines using SQL with VBA in various positions.

As a network engineer I'm wondering if Linux or Python is better. I read that python is good for SD WANs and automation.

However I've recognized Linux can be used in the creation of virtual network functions, or virtual devices. I'm interested in learning network administration (ip addressing, SNMP, building Linux firewalls ~ I'm currently learning and refining skills using freeradius through Ubuntu).  How practical is doing all of this on Linux used in the workplace? I read online they suggest learn Python from several forums, however to me it seems the tasks mentioned above make Linux a valuable skill to have as a network engineer. And maybe the Linux skills could complement SQL in database management or call on the SQL database to be used? However I don't want to learn Linux and not use it. Python from what I've read would be readily applicable in writing various scripts that can automate tasks and be reapplied, which would make my employer appreciate those skillIs.

I do not wanmt to learn both right now.. Rather focus on learning and becoming good t using 1, however its really only worth it if I can apply it in the workplace.

Does any one have advice? Their thoughts or experiences or what either one is used for on a day-to-day or month-to-month use in the workplace?

16 REPLIES 16

Flavio Miranda
Advisor
Advisor

If you need to choose, no doubt Python is better and way more importante for networking. 

But, spend time in Python when you are confident in networking.  You mencioned sdwan which is realy great and python is important to automate task using vManage API, but how good are you in sdwan?

I think Python is really important and can make huge difference for networking but dont forget about networking.  There are a lot o technology coming besides sdwam like sda and aci. If you master this technokogy, Python can or not be important.

Thank you,

more adivce would be valuable to me

If you have to learn just one then choose Python as it is more directly relevant at the moment to networking. 

That said I started my life in IT as Unix admin (Solaris) before moving across to networking and I have found it a very useful skill to have eg. all my scripts etc. run on a CentOS VM and it certainly helps to be comfortable on the command line in Linux when you do this. 

And it never hurts to understand how the networking works for multiple operating systems because after all the network does not exist in isolation, it is there to server a purpose of connecting end users with applications etc. 

Jon

hfakoor222
Participant
Participant

Hmm thank you OK,

More advice  appreciated

hfakoor222
Participant
Participant

I found Python DNA center Labs on the Devnet website, should I go ahead and focus on these?