Views
Helpful
Replies

ASDM launcher Windows 11 compatibility

BeckyBoo123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have recently upgraded my PC to a preview of Windows 11 and now I can't get my ASDM software to connect to our firewall.

The software launches, I enter the destination and my creds but then it says "Unable to launch device manager from x.x.x.x"

I have done some Googling and tried several suggestions including ASDM "this app can't run on your PC" - Windows 10 but it still doesn't work and I think this is a different issue.

Any ideas anyone?

asdm.PNG

11 Replies 11

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Many reason why it fails.

what kind of ssl config you have  - check the ssl config ?  ( ssl server-version any)

check the ASDM Version install on the device ?

what is the ASA Version code and ASDM installed ?

what is the outcome when you do https://ASAIP (is that connects ?)

Have you tried other than Windows 11 ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You are very optimistic even to try this , in general for production needs stick to relevant Cisco Release notes and or Supported platforms-info's (e.g.)

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Is this a solution?

Hello,

does the script path suggestion made below by @mergiraldo work ?

I was just thinking, if you can find the ASDM launcher file, right-click it, then go to 'Properties' amd run the Compatibility Troubleshooter, or change the compatibility mode...

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Further more : take notice that if you do this, in worst case scenario's you may get wrong outputs of get 'wrong information'. Better not to pursue this  goal further (using asdm on win11)

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

No solution given just a comment

mergiraldo
Level 1
Level 1

go into Start > Cisco ASDM-IDM Launcher > right-click the launcher and go to More > Open file location

Then you'll be looking at the shortcut to the ASDM launcher, right-click it and go to Properties and look at the Target. You'll see a long path to wscript.exe - change this to C:\Windows\System32\wscript.exe (leave the invisible.vbs run.bat on the end as these scripts are used to open up ASDM). After changing this I was able to launch ASDM fine.

Thanks Mergiraldo, in my case I had to install another java version to work, here is the link:

https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/javase/javase8u211-later-archive-downloads.html

Thank you!  I installed the oldest I could from Java's site - 211 and it works now - thank you so much!

carstenlymann1
Level 1
Level 1

I have had issues with newer Java versions as well. 

Version 8 update 181 is the one im using to get it to work.. 

( + @mergiraldo solution that also need to be done)

Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts
/ Carsten

Yev
Level 1
Level 1

This will work on the latest Java 8 version, so no reason to compromise security here. The shortcut in the start menu is created incorrectly as mentioned above. Just create a new shortcut to open "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\ASDM\run.bat" and it will work. If you have Java 9 or newer installed you will have to do a couple more steps.

Install the 32-bit version of Java 8 (Since Java 11 is 64-bit only we only need the 32-bit part of Java 8 for ASDM to launch)

Edit "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\ASDM\run.bat" and replace javaw.exe with "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath\javaw.exe" (That way when you update Java 8 it will continue to work)

Screenshot of working shortcut

Yev_0-1675712225103.png