Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert:Managing your Converged Network Using Cisco Prime Infrastructure

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Read the bioWith Tejas Shah

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn and ask questions about  how to manage your wired and wireless network using the converged Cisco Prime Infrastructure Application. Cisco Prime Infrastructure combines the wireless functionality of Cisco Prime Network Control System (NCS) and the wired functionality of Cisco Prime LAN Management Solution (LMS), with rich application performance monitoring and troubleshooting capabilities of Cisco Prime Assurance Manager. 

Tejas Shah is a senior technical marketing engineer for Cisco Prime Infrastructure and Collaboration products. He has deployed Cisco Prime Collaboration Manager at various customer sites to help customers monitor and troubleshoot their video infrastructure. In addition, he is part of the Network Operations Center team at Cisco Live events for six years. Shah joined Cisco in 1995 and was in the Technical Assistance Center team supporting various network management system products for more than six years.

Remember to use the rating system to let Tejas know if you have received an adequate response. 

Tejas might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the Network Infastructure sub-community discussion forum shortly after the event.  This event lasts through February 8, 2013. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

23 Replies 23

Is there a way to decouple the database from PI ? that way our deployment would be way more scalable.

Currently there is no way to decouple database from PI.   I haven't seen any plans to do so yet.

Also it would be great to know if PI supports two or more NICs, just like Iris de Boer asked above.

Please see the thread above where I have replied to this.

Dear Tejas,

I installed Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.1 for 60-days evaluation and i added routers, switches and APs. I configured SNMP community and telnet credentials. I can see clients on Dashboard, but when i go to reports and generate them for last hour, it displays "None Detected".

Did i miss something?

Please advise.

Moustafa

Good observation Moustafa,

I did run a client count report for last one hour and I was able to generate the report.   I need to know more specifics like What report are you running? what type of clients are you selecting?   Do you see those clients associated or connected in the "clients and users" dashboard?  Please advise, and I can look into this even after this event ends..

best regards,

Tejas

secureboy
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Tejas Shah,

Can you provide good guide how to add cisco routers,switchs to PU 1.2

I have problem: i added switch, but i just see its name on page Operate/Device Work center and it shows that Managed. But all dashboards are empty. All documentations are for old versions.

Please, provide normal step by step guide for configuration Prime Infrastructure.

There is a very nice deployment guide for PI 1.2 with step by step procedure posted here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/ps12239/prod_white_papers_list.html

secureboy
Level 1
Level 1

And it doesn't work with snmp v3..

Cisco Prime Infrastructure supports all versions of SNMP: v1, v2c, and v3 (noAuthNoPriv, authNoPriv, authPriv).

That is correct Marvin.. Just a side note.  We had some issues initially with PI 1.1 and SNMPv3, but we had successfully used PI 1.2.1 with SNMPv3 at Ciscolive UK couple weeks back, and it worked great.

cgbritton
Level 1
Level 1

I'd like to know if there are any known interoperability issues when attempting to manage access switches/stacks as every 3750x running lanbase and 2960 comes up as "Managed with Warnings". Our cores running IPServices are managed with no issues. It says to see the inventory.log file, but the erro thrown is nonsensical.

"

2012-12-12 10:39:44,143 [ICE Service[ 1]Thread: 6] ERROR inventory - For device id: 27030006 Feature = feature_vlan and Procedure = vlan failed in time 4254 with the following error and continuing with other features: com.cisco.nm.expression.function.FunctionException: 27030006VALIDATION_ERRORFailed to validate output XML: cvc-complex-type.2.4.a: Invalid content was found starting with element 'name'. One of '{vlanId, type, ifSpeed, isPromiscuous, isConnectorPresent, entAliasMappingIdentifier, adminStatus, operStatus, mtu, lagEndName, locationIndex, comments, description}' is expected.http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="vlaninterface/xmp-im-vlan-module.xsd">Vlan11Vlan99VlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlanVlan99

I've This was an issue from the first deployment of PI 1.2 and continues in version 1.2.1.012.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card