Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Assign IP address to port

assign IP address to port

hello everyone

I am something new in networking and I want to find out if a switch of the catalyst line can be configured a port to assign only an IP address? If so, what is the procedure to do it or what source do you recommend?
thank you
5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You can only do that on a l3 switch , here is an example :

switch(config)# interface ethernet x/y

switch(config-if)# no switchport

switch(config-if)# ip address 192.0.2.1/8

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what is the device model IOS.

in general

config t

!

interface gi 0/1 -- change this as per requirement

no switchport  -- this convert port to layer 3

ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0  < -- change this as per requirement.

no shutdown

!

end

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello

do the configuration of the switch as indicated to me (see switch image) with an ip address 192.168.1.10, however, the IP address of the computer (see ipPC image) is different from the one configured in the port and there is communication, however In this scenario, should the switch reject the communication?

if the PC connected to port Fas0/1 ( this is layer2 port)

PC should able to ping 192.168.1.10

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Perhaps there is something in the post that I am not understanding. When I look at the image showing switch I see an interface with an IP v4 address. When I look at the image showing PC I see the PC is configured with an IP v4 address that is in the same subnet as the switch address. I would expect the PC and the switch to be able to communicate using IP v4. Is there some reason why you would expect the switch to reject the communication?If so please explain to me what you believe the issue to be.

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco