Helpful
Replies

BGP Loopback

CobbyJ
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I am having some issues with OSPFv3 and BGP and loopbacks

We have an active active connection on BGP some traffic goes in on one switch and out on another depending on route..

But the issue is its not traveling back through link connected between the two switches which have and we can not ping the loopbacks to each other.

I belive we need to add as a BGP neighbour from what i understand i have tried a few different things but doesnt seem to work

So the issue really we cant ping the loopbacks between the switches locally between the interconnected link.

Here is a diagram, any help would be amazing.

If anyone needs config information please ask.

Copy of Core Network Diagram - Updated.png

6 Replies 6

CobbyJ
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I am having some issues with OSPFv3 and BGP and loopbacks

We have an active active connection on BGP some traffic goes in on one switch and out on another depending on route..

But the issue is its not traveling back through link connected between the two switches which have and we can not ping the loopbacks to each other.

I belive we need to add as a BGP neighbour from what i understand i have tried a few different things but doesnt seem to work

So the issue really we cant ping the loopbacks between the switches locally between the interconnected link.

Here is a diagram, any help would be amazing.

If anyone needs config information please ask.

Copy of Core Network Diagram - Updated.png

Not sure if i undestood the question correctly  - is the Loopback not able to ping using BGP ? or Underlay OSPF ?

If OSPF - 2 Options i can think here, since we do not have visibility what configured there.

1. have this Loopback part of OSPF process ?

2. is the Loopback address anounced in OSPF ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello

So i cant ping loopback to loopback through the cross link.

OSPF is all connected and so on but its not taking that cross link route

so i should be able to ping XX11:XX22:1:10::2 to XX11:XX22:1:10::1 and vise versa through that local link

because our BGP is active active some traffic goes in through one switch and out the other but for it to match and work it needs to go via that cross link.

It works fine with OSPFv1 and IPv4 just not with OSPFv3 and IPV6 even though it is showing in the ospf database so i think it needs the bgp neighbour to learn that local route from what i understand, or am i wrong?

Hello,

So what i think the issue is that its not taking the right route, i have tried to do an ipv6 route to each switch but with no luck

When i try to ping XX11:XX22:1:10::2 to XX11:XX22:1:10::1 i think its trying to go out via the fibre instead of across the link saying that its a lan network as well.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

i did not get the answer as asked before ? do you see in OSPF routing table ?  or BGP routing table ?

You mean blue link ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Yes it is in OSPF and BGP as a full /32 IPv6

C XX11:XX22:1:10::/64 [0/0]
via Loopback9, directly connected
L XX11:XX22:1:10:::2/128 [0/0]
via Loopback9, receive

(Hidden the ip's)

But as i said the BGP will try and send it outwards on WAN and not accros as LAN.