Views
Helpful
Replies

C9500-24Y4C and switch-stack virtual upgrade

ScottDawson2051
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a pair of C8500-24Y4C's running in switch-stack virtual mode , the current IOS is Gibraltar 16.12.4 and the "supported version is Amsterdam 17.3.3, can I just upgrade direct from Gibraltar to Amsterdam ?, and if so what is the best method for a switch-stack virtual upgrade (I have seen many posts but all seem slightly different so I am a bit confused)

Regards

10 Replies 10

ilay
VIP
VIP

Yes, you can direct upgrade switch software to Amsterdam.

You can refer to the corresponding version of ReleaseNotes to operate, in the "Upgrading the Switch Software" section

for 17.3.3 you can find here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9500/software/release/17-3/release_notes/ol-17-3-9500.html

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@ScottDawson2051 wrote:

can I just upgrade direct from Gibraltar to Amsterdam

NOTE:  17.3.4 will be released on July 2021. 

Yes, direct upgrade to 17.3.X is supported, however, be aware there will be a micro-code upgrade involved and this will take around 10 minutes. 

It is highly important if someone takes the time to read the Release Notes properly. 

The instructions on how to do the upgrade, in Install Mode, in standalone or VSS is explained in the Release Notes.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your subject mentioned "C9500-24Y4C" and your content mentioned "C8500-24Y4C"

Hope you mean by "C9500-24Y4C"  - then yes you can go upgrade directly current to new version, required micro code upgrade.

as basic guide lines, read the relase notes and understand the caveats.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

ScottDawson2051
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All - Thanks for the feedback. This 10 minute outage while the microcode is updated is this per switch and not at the same time (as in would cause a complete outage or staggered one switch first then the other) ?

Regards 

10min per switch when the Micro code upgrading taking place.

ROMMON Upgrades

In case of a Cisco StackWise Virtual setup, upgrade the active and standby switch.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9500/software/release/17-3/release_notes/ol-17-3-9500.html#concept_ycv_jdf_3mb

BB

@ScottDawson2051 wrote:

This 10 minute outage while the microcode is updated is this per switch and not at the same time (as in would cause a complete

Since the two units will reboot simultaneously, then ROMMON upgrade will take down both switches for 10 minutes and the IOS-XE packages will get loaded. 

So think about a 17 minute outage for both units.  

I agree with Leo. The current ios version does not support ISSU, and it will restart at the same time during the upgrade process.

I have not encountered an IOS-XE microcode upgrade before, and I am not sure about the time consumed.

ScottDawson2051
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All - Again many thanks for updates - Unfortunately my request to upgrade has been denied by my employer because of the total outage downtime , assume its reasonably safe to stay on Gibraltar ?.

it what it is - if business and employer looking less downtime or no downtime, need to invest more high availability setup, is this good to invest for business  ?

i am sure network need some downtime to keep the lights on and keep the security patch.

cisco dev team yet to come up with patching hot without any reboot. on the roadmap for now i guess.

BB

@ScottDawson2051 wrote:

assume its reasonably safe to stay on Gibraltar

16.12.4 is not a stable release.  

If the owner wants "proof", I have a very long list of TAC Cases all about 16.12.4 -- And I am just putting this "mildly". 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card