cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime Physical Appliance

valneimelo
Level 1
Level 1

We have recently received the new appliance (UCS C220 M4 - Physical Cisco Prime Infrastructure Gen 2) and we are in the process of migrating the configuration from the old Prime to the new one.

During this process, we found some doubts and we would like to clarify with you guys to decide what is the best way to proceed.

Our defective appliance was running Prime Infrastructure 3.1.0, while the new one arrived with Prime Infrastructure 2.2.0. As our old backup were done for release 3.1.0, our first try was to upgrade the new Prime to 3.1.0.  As the direct upgrade from 2.2.0 to 3.1.0 is not supported, we have first tried to upgrade it to release 3.0.0. But when we were trying to upgrade, we received a message stating that when FIPS is enabled, the upgrade via CLI is not possible, as well as, the Cisco docuemnts states that there is no way to disable the FIPS and we should reinstall the product from scratch. So, we have the following questions regarding this problem:

1) What is the best way to reinstall the product from scratch and reconfigure it setting FIPS as disabled? Is there a simple command to reset to factory defaults?

1) Is there a way for us to just install release 3.1 from scratch, and them restore the backup files, and finally upgrade to the latest supported release?  If so, how would we do it? Can we format a USB drive and install the Cisco Prime ISO in it?  

Thank you very much in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I may have missed here to mention. you need to to do application backup not appliance backup.

backup application-backup repository XXX application NCS

then restore same

Before You Migrate Your Data

You should check the validity of your Prime Infrastructure backup data by setting up an additional Prime Infrastructure server (either a spare Prime Infrastructure appliance or a new Prime Infrastructure virtual machine) and perform the restore operation as explained in Restore an Application Backup in the Cisco Prime Infrastructure Administrator Guide. If you do not have an additional Prime Infrastructure system to validate the backup, take at least two backups to reduce the risk of losing data.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

PI 3.1???  Wow.  That is even super-old.  

PI 3.10 has already been announced back in September 2021.  

I now, Leo. At this first moment I would like to re-install the product and after that I will upgrade it to the latest version 3.10. 

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure if these works try this :

install ISO directly from USB :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/3-1/hardware_install/guide/Cisco_PI_Hardware_Appliance_Installation_Guide/reInstallUCS.html

get the application backup from old and restore it here. is that works, then you have a long way to go to 3.10

3.1 to 3.4 ....3.7 ..backup fresh installation 3.10 restore

make sure each stage takes the backup and sync with the device, also check the compatibility matrix. ?

BB

Hi!

After following the steps recommended by you, I have performed a new backup using the version 3.7, after that I have installed the version 3.10 but when I tried to restore the latest backup taken from 3.7 the aattached error message is shown.

How can I proceed?

I may have missed here to mention. you need to to do application backup not appliance backup.

backup application-backup repository XXX application NCS

then restore same

Before You Migrate Your Data

You should check the validity of your Prime Infrastructure backup data by setting up an additional Prime Infrastructure server (either a spare Prime Infrastructure appliance or a new Prime Infrastructure virtual machine) and perform the restore operation as explained in Restore an Application Backup in the Cisco Prime Infrastructure Administrator Guide. If you do not have an additional Prime Infrastructure system to validate the backup, take at least two backups to reduce the risk of losing data.

BB

I have tried to perform the inline upgrade again from the version 3.4 to 3.7 but the upgrade never ends. Then, I also tried to do a fresh installation of the PI 3.7 then restore the database, but again the restore always freezes during the "Stage 9 of 9: Re-enabling Databse Settings.... (1% )". 

Is there any tip to get it solved?

how big was your application bakup and database size, for me one of the occation took 8-12 hours or mode depands, left it over night some time.

BB

Yesterday the restore was processing for about 19hours with the same status before I cancel. The database size is 131GB. 

I have aborted this last attempt and now even with some errors during the initialization (see attached image) everything looks good. The version 3.7 is working properly with all data. Really weird but I will proceed with the application backup using the version 3.7 and finally restore it on the version 3.10.

May try that option and let us know, never seen that error, until any DB issues

BB