cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ciscoworks - can manage line cards in 6k switches?

secureIT
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Netpro Team,

could you please tell if Lms can monitor and get the alert of any Linecards installed in Cisco 6500 series switches ??

If so, how it can be enabled and how to test it using the packet capture with OID to be searched ??

regards

Rajesh

14 Replies 14

Gaganjeet Chug
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Kindly specify what kind of Line cards are they. LMS have DFM which continoulsy monitor the device components periodically by SNMP polling and also able to translate speific trap coming from the devices.

To see what kind of device/ Module supported, here is the device suported list for LMS 3.2

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/3.2/device_support/table/lms32sdt.html

Device Supported list for LMS 4.0

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/4.0/device_support/table/lms40sdt.html

Hope it helps

Thanks,

Gaganjeet

Hi Gaganjeet,

Below are the modules installed in 6500 switch & attached is the show module screenshot...

Could you please clarify all my queries asked in the main thread..

ws-x6748-ge-tx
ws-x6724-sfp
ws-x6704-10ge
ws-sup720-3b
ws-x6748-sfp

regards

Rajesh

hi, can anyone check and update my query pls...

Yes, the modules you listed are all supported by CiscoWorks LMS. It can actively monitor their fault status (via SNMP query to the switch supervisor) as well as numerous other functions - process traps and syslog events, graphical view, configuration management and change, inventory, upgrade, etc.

Demonstration via SNMP with OID is not very illustrative, but one could perform and snmpwalk on the IP address of the supervisor. (The supervisor performs all the management fucntions of the switch, you would not and generally* cannot query other line cards directly.) The verbose snmpwalk output would have all the information that CiscoWorks parses into more usable form in its various components.

Hope this helps.

* some exceptions with services modules

secureIT
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks for the update sir.

Could you please tell me the sysObjID for monitoring any of the module status so that i can do a packet capture of the switch and analyse for the said ID.

~rajesh

Attached is a screen shot of what LMS (CiscoView component) would show you of a switch similar to what you describe.

An OID analysis will be much more obtuse, giving you output such as:

iso.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.1 = STRING: "TenGigabitEthernet1/1"
iso.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.2 = STRING: "TenGigabitEthernet1/2"
iso.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.3 = STRING: "TenGigabitEthernet1/3"
iso.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.4 = STRING: "TenGigabitEthernet1/4"

(this is very partial output of C:\Users\Administrator>C:\"Program Files (x86)"\CSCOpx\objects\jt\bin\snmpwalk -v 1 -c )

Hi,

This oid represents the interfaces of each module status... But i would like to know "Does Dfm notifies if any MODULE itself goes down" ?? In this case, how do we do the packetcapture for the module as a whole, in order to confirm that Lms is polling snmp from the switch for Module status rather than the individual port status...?

~Rajesh

Hi Netpro Team,

Please revert to this............

Dear Clarke, Could you please share your comments on this,,

Hi Joseph Clarke ,

Please help me...

problem summary - We are not getting Dfm alerts when any of the module goes down in the cisco 6500 switch.

I got to know about the sysobjid as "1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.1.3.1.1.10" from the Link "  http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseOID.do?local=en&translate=Translate&objectInput=1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.1.3.1.1.10#oidContent ".   But i am unable to get the said sysobjid from the packet capture taken from the switch with filters as "snmp 161/162/syslog 514" etc.

Can you please help me.

~rajesh

Hi Netpro Team,,,,,, Please help !!

please reply to this thread.........

Hi,

I myself has searched the solution and it is that the Dfm can poll the module status via the snmp on sysobjectid.

The below link will take you to the sysobjid for the modul status of cisco switches.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseOID.do?local=en&translate=Translate&objectInput=1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.1.3.1.1.10#oidContent

The way how you will identify is to do a packet capture option available in Device center with all the ports selected(any) and run it for a cycle of 600 seconds. The OID would be 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.1.3.1.1.10.

ObjectmoduleStatus
OID1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.1.3.1.1.10
TypeINTEGER
Permissionread-only
Statuscurrent
Values1 : other
2 : ok
3 : minorFault
4 : majorFault
MIBCISCO-STACK-MIB ;   -   View Supporting Images this link will generate a new window
Description"The operational status of the module. If the
status is not ok, the value of moduleTestResult
gives more detailed information about the
module's failure condition(s)."

~ PLEASE RATE MY THREAD IF YOU FOUND IT IS HELPFUL...

regards

Rajesh P

Hi Rajesh,

This is very Informative....

Best Regards,

Manjesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: