cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Config Questions/Issues on Catalyst 4500

EricPelkey45040
Level 1
Level 1

Please let me preface this by saying that I am new to the Network position within my company and have limited access to my equipment currently due to ongoing COVID-19 issues.

Our core LAN Switch/Router is a Catalyst 4500 series.  It acts as our internal router and core LAN switch.

Recently, we received a Catalyst 3850 10G switch that we need to be trunked off of the 4500.  The only 10G ports that I have available are on the WS-X45 Supervisor modules (2 of them, in slots 3 and 4).  Each of those modules have 2 ports that can be configured as 10G or 1G, and they were all configured at 1G.  Supervisor module 3 had 2 ports configured at 1G, that were the trunks to the Firewall and the Gateway RTR.  Supervisor module 4 had nothing connected or configured.  I attempted to connect the new switch to te4/1, and could not get it to link even though I added the proper config to the port.

Through trial an error, I ended up running the command:

hw-module uplink select tengigabitethernet

I had to do a chassis power cycle for the config to take, which I did and it did, and the trunk to the new switch came up.  BUT, the preexisting trunks on Sup Module 3 went down.

To try to revert back, I ran the command

hw-module uplink select gigabitethernet

then did the same chassis power cycle, but it did not revert back to previous config.

Again, I'm new.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

1 Reply 1

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

to understand the problem in better way

Can you post 

show version

show modules

if not confidential post running config.

is this VSS ? do you have Quad supervisors ? 

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help