Views
Helpful
Replies

CPNR with multi vendor devices

Islam_Hassanin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

i just would like to ask how can i use Cisco CPNR DHCP to configure multi-vendor devices.

Example:

i have subnet A with 2 scopes :

• scope-1: range from 10 to 20 ,that one used for cisco devices with embedded policy.
  • scope-2: range from 20 to 30, that one used for vendorX device with embedded policy.

my target is to allow only Cisco devices use scope-1 & vendorX devices use scope-2.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Islam_Hassanin
Level 1
Level 1

it works after configuring Client-classes with lookup-id expression to match on option 60 value sent from the client.

Thanks !!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You might try to use the DHCP Option 82 feature in Cisco CPNR to configure different DHCP scopes for different types of devices. Option 82 is a DHCP relay agent information option that allows the DHCP relay agent to insert circuit-specific information, such as the remote-ID or the agent-ID, into the DHCP request packet.

You can configure your DHCP server to include Option 82 information in DHCP offers, and then configure the DHCP relay agent on your Cisco devices to include the appropriate information in DHCP requests. For example, you can configure your Cisco devices to include the remote-ID "Cisco" in DHCP requests, and configure your VendorX devices to include the remote-ID "VendorX" in DHCP requests.

On the DHCP server side, you can configure DHCP scope-1 to only offer IP addresses to DHCP requests that include the remote-ID "Cisco", and configure DHCP scope-2 to only offer IP addresses to DHCP requests that include the remote-ID "VendorX".

You can also use DHCP Policies on Cisco IOS DHCP server to assign DHCP scope based on different conditions, such as MAC address, Option-82 field, etc.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thanks for your reply,

i will give it a try, but do you think it's gonna work if the 2 vendors requests through same relay agent and to same subnet?

Islam_Hassanin
Level 1
Level 1

it works after configuring Client-classes with lookup-id expression to match on option 60 value sent from the client.

Thanks !!