cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Details for non-Cisco device support in LMS 4.2

mmletzko
Level 1
Level 1

According to the below link by a Cisco engineer, LMS 4 supports non-Cisco devices.  Perhaps someone from Cisco could explain the following post in greater detail?

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-14507

I am having a hard time finding details on support for non-cisco devices in official documentation.  The only thing I can find is this in this doc about LMS 4.2 DCR:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/4.2/user/guide/inventory/dcr.html

Could someone tell me if LMS 4.2 supports configuration archive for non-Cisco devices, and if so, which devices?

According to this document...

– Once the Non-Cisco Devices are moved to the managed state, it triggers the MIB II level of Inventory for Inventory, Config and Image Management support and data collection.

#

– Config and SWIM functionalities are not supported. Only system and interface information (MIB II) is collected for Non-Cisco devices through Inventory.

These are kind of contradictory statements.  First one says when the non-Cisco device is moved to a 'managed' state, inventory, config, image management support and data collection is triggered.

Second one says Config isn't supported. 

Does this mean configuration archive isn't supported?

Any detail would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I read the "Config" in "– Once the Non-Cisco Devices are  moved to the managed state, it triggers the MIB II level of Inventory  for Inventory, Config and Image Management support and data collection." as "config management", meaning any retrieval of configuration informations possible through polling MIB II.

OTOH, the "Config" in "– Config and SWIM functionalities are  not supported. Only system and interface information (MIB II) is  collected for Non-Cisco devices through Inventory." is probably referring to the act of deploying/pushing configurations to these non-Cisco devices.

Sounds like there is definitely room for interpretation here. 

I am hoping it is as you stated, but I would like Cisco...or someone else running LMS 4.x, to confirm that non-Cisco devices can have their configs archived.

Thanks for the reply!

What are you after?

Do you want a technical interpretation to know what can be done, or a commercial interpretation to put in a statement to your customer?

There is too little of the first anywhere, but there is plenty of the later on cco.

Cheers,

Michel

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card