Views
Helpful
Replies

Devices showing unreachable in LMS 4.2

Pandian G K
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I have discovered my switches in LMS but it is showing unreachable what can be the reason ?

Looking forward for your comments .

thanks in advance,

Pandian G K

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Where do you see the device unreachable?

In discovery report or in Invenotry> Add/Import / manage devcies?

In both the cases one common issue may be incorrect SNMP credentials.

Discovery:

All device which does not have correct SNMp creds are shows as unrechable and hence you need to add correct snmp creds and check again. You may try to add a device manually, whihc is unreachable and se if it comes fine.

Document to understand discovery in LMS is :

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9005

After Discovery in Inventory > Add/Import / manage devcies:

If the device is here and is unknow, then it is probably failing for invenotry which is essential to make a dveice known and needs snmp creds.

Correct them and see if that works.

-Thanks

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Where do you see the device unreachable?

In discovery report or in Invenotry> Add/Import / manage devcies?

In both the cases one common issue may be incorrect SNMP credentials.

Discovery:

All device which does not have correct SNMp creds are shows as unrechable and hence you need to add correct snmp creds and check again. You may try to add a device manually, whihc is unreachable and se if it comes fine.

Document to understand discovery in LMS is :

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9005

After Discovery in Inventory > Add/Import / manage devcies:

If the device is here and is unknow, then it is probably failing for invenotry which is essential to make a dveice known and needs snmp creds.

Correct them and see if that works.

-Thanks

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

Hi Vinod Arya,

thanks for your reply my snmp string is fine and is same all over my network.

I am out of office now let me check by adding manualy once i return back to office.

thanks again for your reply, PFA image

pandian

Message was edited by: Pandian G K

Run a DCR verification

Inventory--> Device Credential Verification

thanks to all

I also have hundreds of unreachable devices found by CDP and the only report that has any data is the one that's created when clicking on the number of unreachable devices in the summary screen. There is no data when I go to Reports>Inventory>Management Status>Unreachable Devices while the discovery is running.

From everything I have read this means that SNMP is not responding to RO requests but this seems quite inadequate based on the fact that these are found with CDP. I could understand only providing a IP addresses for an unreachable device discovered with a ping sweep but CDP gives a huge mount of information about a connected device and all LMS returns is an IP address and its neighbors.

Is there anyway to get more detailed information about the unreachable devices without turning on debug and running the discovery again? We are discovering thousands of devices and it's taken 4 days so far so starting over is not really an option based on the timeframe we have for this project.

I will try to see if the log files show any useful information but I have a feeling that trying to do this for hundreds of devices will not be a good use of time and the advice to just telnet or SSH to each device to validate their credentials will also take a huge amount of time as we could easily have over a thousand unreachable devices by the time the discovery is finished.

Also, DCR verification is only for devices that end up in the DCR, which unreachable devices do not and none of the discovery reports seem to have any data until the discovery is complete so trying to get this info during a large discovery has proven difficult at best. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: