cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Equipment Suggestions Please

petzany
Level 1
Level 1

We are a small business who is constantly having speed issues with our internet. We have 1gb speed FIBER but are only getting 1/4 of the speed in the office. We are using a Netsmear  router (you get the idea) that when introduced into the mix throttles the speed down from 1gbps to 250mbps , Direct connect to the CPE has the correct speeds. All the software is up to date etc and I have just had it with that equipment. SO as soon as i find a new piece of equipment that ones gonna go in the trash can and not fast enough..

My question is this :

Can i get a Switch or something from Cisco that does this .

Has DHCP and can allow for Static IPs on the same unit

Will if I so wish allow ALL ports to be WIDE OPEN with not restrictions to whatever devices i so wish that to happen with

I want to use this in place of the router. So I am not sure if Cisco makes a ROUTER that can do this or if I am looking for a managed switch. Please help thank you all in advance

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the ISP hand over Ethernet, i consider using FW here ( can be Firepower 1K Models)   - wihich protect network also do NAT for your LAN IP address range.

If you looking to use Routers That can also be achivable) -  which can also do DHCP / NAT and routing. but if you looking Line speed you may need addon License.

you need to choose which one prefer. this required some homework pros and cons for your environment.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Need SPEED, DHCP as well as NAT. What does Cisco offer in ways of this for equipment. Router Vs Switch ?

as suggested above., both solution does the work for you

Router is more prefered, than Switch (switch do not do NAT normal switch)

Some Router has switch modules, if you looking to use as switch (again it all depends on budget)

BB

So what model ROUTER would I be looking for that can be programmed the way i wish it to be?

Look at the model  depends on budget : (they do support rest API)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/router-comparison.html

BB

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is the Internet gig fiber, full gig both up and down?

Would the device also need to do LAN routing too (i.e. not Internet traffic)?  If so, expected bandwidth needs?

Hello,

depending on your budget, you could get a Catalyst 9300/9400/9500 switch, they do NAT, but are quite expensive.

That said, if you are a small business, a router (or switch) with a 1G throughput might be way above what you need and want to spend.

Which Netgear router do you currently have ? You might be better (and cheaper) off with a budget TP-Link or Linksys or even a different model Netgear router.