cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel(Packet Tracer)

Jorrie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I would like to ask how to configure an EtherChannel/Port-Channel on a router to switch connections. I'm familiar with LACP and PagP configuration(Layer 2 switch to Layer 2 switch and Multilayer Switch to Multilayer Switch.) However, on the router's physical interface the only available command for EtherChannel/Port-Channel is "channel-group [group number]".  To solve this problem  I came up with an idea by manually configuring the EtherChannel using the mode on-on(don't know the right term for it so I just call it mode on-on) but this raises another problem for me.  The first is  I don't know how to configure a mode on-on and how to verify if the EtherChannel/Port-Channel is working properly. Second, there is no mode option in the router's physical interface. Also, I have questions I would like to clarify regarding EtherChannel/Porth-Channel.

regards

Jorrie

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

below will guide to configure etherchannel on cisco router (only if capable with IOS and platform)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/1900/software/configuration/guide/Software_Configuration/etherchannel.html

rate this and mark as answer if this solved your concern

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hi,

below will guide to configure etherchannel on cisco router (only if capable with IOS and platform)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/1900/software/configuration/guide/Software_Configuration/etherchannel.html

rate this and mark as answer if this solved your concern

Good luck
KB

Martin L
VIP
VIP

I don't if L3 Ether-Channel on router in PT will work but you can test it on ISR 4331;  PT is just a sim meant to behave like IOS but it is not real IOS.  You can set up EtherChannel manually; always on and no negotiation on either other side, no LACP and PagP protocols.  that is what "mode on" means.  Here is configs that you can copy paste into PT:

interface Port-channel1

ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0

no ip address

channel-group 1

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/1

no ip address

channel-group 1

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Jorrie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mr. Martin and Mr. Kasun. Thank you for answering my question on how to configure EtherChannel manuanlly. Mr. Martin I would like to ask what is the proper way how to verify if the bundled port is working properly? The way that I verify EtherChannel is first I'm gonna issue the command show Etherchannel summary to check if  they are in use and in bundled then I gonna issue another command which is show spanning-tree(I issue this command when working with a switch to check if the two physical ports become one logical port since I usually encounter that the two physical port which I bundled are still included in the same vlan in spanning-tree.) After solving this problem the next thing I do is to shutdown each physical port to test it's if it's working. 

Have a great day.

Yes, use show commands after configuration to verify; 1st verify your configuration with show run command; then verify technology with show Etherchannel summary and show spanning tree commands.  Of course, you can furthermore test layer 1 connectivity by physically bouncing the port to see if other link took over in case of Etherchannels.   

It seems that PT lets you configure L3 Etherchannels on ISR 4331 router. 

Regards, ML

Jorrie
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Mr. Martin  I would like to ask what do you mean by saying "physically bouncing the port" do mean unplugging the rest of the ports are bundled and plug it back in after I test the connectivity of each port?

Regards

Jorrie

Hi,

you can use 'show Etherchannel summary' to see set of ports participating in same channel. or manually remove the cable 1 by 1 if you have physical access to device.

rate this and mark as answer if this helped you to resolve issue

Good luck
KB

Yes, unplugging cable to see if the traffic still flows via other link (ethechannel has 2 or more links) OR use shut command to shut down one of interfaces in bundle.

Regards, ML

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card