cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Failing to Ping NAT IP Address from Router

Bonnie Mtengwa
Level 1
Level 1

i have an issue where im failing to ping a natted address from the router, a Cisco 4221 with IOS XE Software, Version 16.09.05. the Exact same Configuration is working on a Cisco 2911 with IOS Version 15.2(4)M1 im able to ping the natted address.

my configiration is as follows:

4221 Router:

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/1.21

encapsulation dot1Q 21

ip address 192.168.21.254 255.255.255.0

ip nat inside

ip virtual-reassembly

!         

!

ip nat inside source static 192.168.21.5 10.255.0.1

if im on the router i can ping 192.168.21.5 , but if i try to ping 10.255.0.1 it fails.

on the Cisco 2911 Router, the same setup works, i am able to ping 10.255.0.1 from the router.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Cristian Matei
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

While i understand what you're saying, what is the scope of that test? Is NAT working in the end? Can you post your NAT interface configuration and your NAT configuration?

As you ping the NAT'ed address, look into "show ip nat translations" and see if the translation occurs for ICMP packets.

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Cristian Matei
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

While i understand what you're saying, what is the scope of that test? Is NAT working in the end? Can you post your NAT interface configuration and your NAT configuration?

As you ping the NAT'ed address, look into "show ip nat translations" and see if the translation occurs for ICMP packets.

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

thanks, iCMP packets were not allowed, hence they were failing