cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how dhcp pool get assigned to which vlan?

baselzind
Level 6
Level 6

when i create a dhcp pool on a layer 2 switch , how does the switch decide which vlan should get assigned this dhcp pool ? like if there is many vlans on a switch and i create a dhcp pool , how it chooses which vlan to give ip addresses for ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaderson Pessoa
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Well.

1. Layer 2: Have possibility to create just one SVI to management. In this case, you can create a DHCP pool for this VLAN. For each dhcp pool you will need appoint a default gateway, if you dont have a L3 device, L2 cannot assign it, because a SVI limitation.

I think that is it.
Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- It's based on the network assigned ip range for the particular vlan  which get's re-defined for the particular pool in the DHCP configuration , below you will find a typical example :

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16689051/configuring-a-dhcp-server-with-vlan-on-a-switch

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

here is good reference guide : let us know any further asistance 

https://www.freeccnaworkbook.com/workbooks/ccna/configuring-an-ip-dhcp-helper-address

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Lucas Rene
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

Previously to the DHCP config, im sure you have one of your switch ports assigned to some VLAN, and there is the thing. When you do this the switch goes by default to that vlan´s gateway, and currently that vlan gateway is configured in the DHCP POOL, so at that point its pretty easy for the switch to understand wich pool of ip addresses should assign their ip´s.

CCENT

no im saying let us get a switch out of the box and create vlan 1 to 10 and distribute them on its interfaces and create a dhcp pool on it , which vlan gets the dhcp pool out of these ten vlans?

please any expert can answer?

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

The DHCP client broadcasts a request for an IP address and additional configuration parameters on its local LAN. As part of this DHCP message, the relay agent inserts the IP address of the interface containing the ip helper-address command into the gateway IP address (giaddr) field of the DHCP packet. This IP address enables the DHCP server to determine which subnet should receive the offer and identify the appropriate IP address range to offer. The DHCP relay agent sends the local broadcast, via IP unicast, to the DHCP server address specified by the ip helper-address interface configuration command. 

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Jaderson Pessoa
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Well.

1. Layer 2: Have possibility to create just one SVI to management. In this case, you can create a DHCP pool for this VLAN. For each dhcp pool you will need appoint a default gateway, if you dont have a L3 device, L2 cannot assign it, because a SVI limitation.

I think that is it.
Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card