cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to dynamically add IPs of an FQDN to an ACL of a CISCO RTR (6300)

Grandpoobah
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, 

Is there a way to dynamically add IPs derived from an FQDN to an ACL of a CISCO 6300 RTR (updating it with new IPs while retaining any old / pre-existing IPs)?   Unfortunately, I'm  unable to obtain an exhaustive list of IPs for this FQDN, which are periodically changed and then blocked by my  ACL, thus my dilemma.  

Thanks

GPBH

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

on which device is the FQDN query executed ?

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure i have understand the question correctly, you looking the limitation or changing from old IP to new IP ?

check below may help you :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-documents/using-hostnames-dns-in-access-lists-configuration-steps-caveats/ta-p/3123480

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you very much balaji, 

I managed to google this a couple of weeks ago, but noticed the post was in reference to an ASA, which my 6300 is not configured as.   Since my 6300 is running IOS XE firmware 17.X , I was told a portion of the CLI syntax referenced would be incompatible.     

I'm a novice, so any additional input / direction / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

GPBH

Hello,

I guess a simple EEM script that periodically pings the FQDN, and then parses the output to a new entry in the access list should work.

How often does the IP address change ?

I'll test the script and get back with you...

Thank you very much for your time and assistance! I've never heard of an
EEM scThey appear to change on a weekly/bi-weekly basis. A DNS query is
performed on the FQDN and it generally forwards 3 or 4 different IPs in the
DNS response /answer which need to be used.

So I'm not sure if pinging the FQDN will suffice.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out.

GPBH

I believe I have a linux command that should be able to obtain IPs dervied from the FQDN ->  dig some.FQDN.com | egrep ^sip | awk '{ print $5 }' | xargs -n1 -I{} iptables -A INPUT -s {} -j ACCEPT     but adding the new IPs to the current ACL without purging the old/pre-existing IPs is a different story and what I need to figure out.   

If someone can help me solve that issue, or has an alternate method of dynamically updating an ACL with the IPs retrieved in a DNS response/answer, I'd greatly appreciate it. 

thanks

GPBH

Hello,

on which device is the FQDN query executed ?

Thanks Georg - The device performing the DNS query is a managed linux server, but if it's a task that can be assumed by the 6300 RTR via TCL + EEM, that would be the preferred method.    Unfortunately, I've never created / touched either (TCL/EEM), so any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated  

GPBH