Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IE4000 Major Alarm Relay Configuration

Hi, I am trying to configure the alarm relay on a IE4000 switch to give an open contact when the switch is unhealthy or the power has failed. We only have one supply to the switch so the redundant power supply is not useful. 

Does anyone know if the switch has a general healthy/fault condition which I can use to drive the relay contact. I cannot find one in the available commands.

I would expect to have this so I can report the switch condition to an external device.

Thanks, Darren (UK)

7 Replies 7

BrianSekleckiGE
Level 1
Level 1

If you wire it N/C (Pins #2 and #3), it will behave this way and you can wire them in series with other switches to combine a signal to your PLC's DI.

When it is powered off, the relay appears to be de-energized and pin #2 and #3 are not connected; instead Pins #1 and #2 are connected.   

I would appreciate if someone from Cisco can check/validate this comment.

BrianSekleckiGE
Level 1
Level 1

Also you can reverse the logic on the IE-4000 with:

alarm relay-mode negative

On IE-2000:

alarm relay-mode energized

IE-3300/IE-3400:

[UNKNOWN]

j.leinonen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Did you guys verified this from Cisco and got this working?

I got the same problem with IE-4000.

If I use NC I get alarm for ports when I discunnect them, that is if alarm is configured for that port, so switch opens contact relay OK.

BUT if switch it self goes down with NC the relay stays closed so no alarm for that for PCL DI / I/O

If I checked correctly "alarm relay-mode negative" did not change anything or I configured and tested it wrong.

BrianSekleckiGE
Level 1
Level 1

No, it appears to be a major design flaw.

We are evaluating the Catalyst IE-9300 this month as a replacement for the IE-4000 and IE-5000; I'll come back to you and let you know.

When wired N/C, the relay should be in OPEN status during POWER OFF and BOOTING  (but OS not yet running) conditions.  It should not then be CLOSED when the OS is booted and no alarms are present.  Simple industry standard behavior I'd expect.

there was a similar post.  try using configuration command 'alarm relay-mode negative'.

this will invert the polarity of the alarm relay.  it takes effect only when IE switch is powered on and has parsed the startup configuration.

Albert Mitchell
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Also, this has been posted in the wrong community.

the IE switching product team members are monitoring the community "Technology and Support > Internet of Things (IoT) -> industrial networking"

i realize its hard to find the correct communities. 

j.leinonen
Level 1
Level 1

Finally after firmware upgrade too (or I missed something at first test) I got this working.

So I used NO pin and "alarm relay-mode negative"command.

Now if I have port/one power down relay opens and we get alarm.

And if switch goes down relay opens too as it defaults NO as normally Open.

Same tested for IE-3200

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card