Views
Helpful
Replies

Including Interface Description in Cisco PRime Infrastructure Alarm Message

alessandro.s
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

i succesfully configured a Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.1 applliance to display an alarm and to send me an e-mail when switch uplink ports goes down.

The text displayed in alarm message is :

port 'interface_id' is down on device 'device_ip_address'

I'd like to include in this text also the interface description so the text will display :

port 'interface_id'  'interface_descriprion' is down on device 'device_ip_address' 

Is this possible?

Thankyou in advance

15 Replies 15

steverobin
Level 1
Level 1

We use CloudView NMS for this purpose  http://www.cloudviewnms.com. It shows all our network.  You can configure your e-mail when interface goes down.

Hi,

i'd like to not use a third part software, we spent a lot of time configuring prime for monitoring and logging and sincerely i'd like to find a solution for that!!

Thankyou so much.

Regards

Hi Alessandro,

This issue was solved on version 2.2 and now after upgrading to 3.0 we are receiving again messages without Interface Description.

Anyone else with same problem?

Thanks!

hi all,

i am also facing this problem after upgrading prime 3.2 to 3.5.
In prime 3.2, The text displayed in alarm message was in below format :
port 'interface_id' 'interface_descriprion' is down on device 'device_ip_address'
But now in prime 3.5, 'interface_descriprion' text is not displayed in alarms messages.
please suggest...

Hilario Martin
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Alessandro,

have you find anything about this feature to add interface/port description on alarm message?

Best Regards.

Hi Hilario,

unfortunately i was not able to.. or at least not yet!! i will eventually post the solution.

Regards

Thanks Alessandro,

Do you think it could be a new feature that incorporates the new version 2.2?

Best regards.

Hi Hilario,

sorry for the late reply, i don't know if this feature is supported on verion 2.2 or te newest 2.2.1, i'll upgrade the appliance and let you Know!

techbjs08
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Alessandro,

What steps did you take to accomplish the switch uplink alarm message?

Thanks

Hi,

i followed these steps :

SWITCH SIDE

- configured Prime Infrastructure as snmp-server host;

- enabled snmp-traps for linkup and linkdown events globally;

- disabled snmp-traps for linkup and linkdown on non relevant interfaces using the no snmp trap link-status command

PRIME INFRASTRUCTURE SIDE

- under "Deploy/Monitor Deployment" i deployed template "Interface Health"  for all the interested switches

-  under "Administration/System Settings/Mail Server Configuration" configured my internal SMTP server to make Prime Infrastructure able to send e-mails

- under "Operate/Alarms & Events" click on "Email Notifications" , then on "Switches and Hubs"

- check the "critical" box ,  insert the destination e-mail address into the "To" field then click "Save"

-  check the "switches and Hubs" box and then click Save

As i know is possible to avoid to configure every single not-interesting port on the switches with "no snmp trap link-status" command (it's a bit annoying when you have tens of switches), using Port Grouping configuration on PI but i tried it without success.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Thanks Alessandro!!

you're welcome!

ramkris2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Alessandro,

The options that can be included for E-mail notifications are listed under:

Administration > System Settings > Alarms and Events

Unfortunately, Interface Description is not one among them.

Ram

Hi Ramkris,

thanks for your reply.

I saw that the options that can be included in e-mail notifications are listed under this menu and is not possible from GUI to add interface description , i just wanted to know if this could be possible using some kind of Scripting via CLI.

Regards,

Alessandro

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: