cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Lan Name

Zepster44
Level 1
Level 1

Hopefully this should be an easy solution.  

Our physical office network connects to 2 C3560x switches.  When you plug in an ethernet cable to any computer (Mac, Linux, Windows) the network connection shows up as BTA-TEMP.  I am trying to find where I can change that name in the switches since it is not specific to an OS and anyone who plugs in any laptop or desktop, the name shows up as BTA-TEMP.  Anyone have any ideas on how to change this for the entire office?

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You are probably seeing the assigned vlan name for the port. To re-name that you need  more elaborate and basic networking knowledge on creating , and changing vlan's , not at least to mention etc....

! M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

I am still in the process of trying to figure out where this is coming from.  I contacted the company that owns our router for the fiber coming in and they said that this is something they can change.  I told them if it shows BTA-TEMP to please change it, but if not, then do not touch anything.  I will let you know if this is from the router end.

Jaderson Pessoa
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Well, i dindt understood you question.

Could you share your configuration?

Are you receiving dhcp from these devices? What domain is configured? Please, show more detail about your devices.

If you are trying change the description on the ports, try it:

interface g0/1

description namethatyouwant

If you are trying change the name of vlan, try it:

vlan BTA-TEMP

name MYNAME

Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

as mentioned @marce1000  it all depends where you getting this information.

we need more information, show VLAN and show interface description output to give you the right direction.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card