Views
Helpful
Replies

Latitude E6410 - USB-to-Serial Adapter - Break Sequence

offpister
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a Dell Latitude E6410 laptop that does not have a Serial port or a Break key on the keyboard. I have a Prolific PL2303 USB-to-Serial adapter which is installed and I can access the CLI ok with this setup via HyperTerminal.

My problem is that I am unable to break into ROMMON using the break sequence Ctrl + Break (as there is no break key). I have also tried TeraTerm with the break sequence of Alt + B.

Additionally, I have tried setting the baud rate to 2600 and pressing the space bar for 10 seconds to no avail.

Any help would be appreciate as I never know when I may need to break into ROMMON.

Thanks.

Jonathan Worth.

Network Manager

Hesa Limited

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jonathan

If you want to try the space bar technique then set your baud rate to 1200 not 2600. I have done that and it worked ok for me.

I also have the issue of no break key on my laptop. I found that in my terminal emulator I was able to map a key to send a function identified as telnet break and it works for me to break into rommon. I do not see a way to do that in Hyperterm and it has been a very long time since I used Tera Term so I do not remember whether it has the ability to do that.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

sbertsch
Level 1
Level 1

Jonathan,

I also have an E6410.

Break is the combination of Ctrl and Pause keys.   On the E6410, Pause is a combination of the Fn and F12 keys.   A combination of Ctrl-Fn-F12 does what you're looking for.

Alternatively, you could also try putty which, in addition to telnet & ssh, has a serial option as well.   Specify your com port and speed and click open.   Once connected, click the upper-left drop-down menu, and select Break from the Special Command list.

Otherwise, like Richard said, the space bar technique at 1200 baud should work too.  See:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps133/products_tech_note09186a0080174a34.shtml#topic3

offpister
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you to all of your replies. I am currently away from any Cisco equipment until next week and will try it and see if it works.

Can anybody recommend any specific USB to Serial adapters that work well with Cisco equipment or does it not matter. I have been looking on eBay for a Prolific one - any reviews on this chipset?

Thanks again.

Jonathan.

I've used the Prolific variety in the past with no issues.

I've been using the Keyspan (now Tripp Lite) USA-19HS for a few years (Windows Vista and Windows 7 only) and it has worked flawlessly on my E6410.

I have been using the Keyspan since I got the laptop with no serial interface. It has worked quite well for me.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

rkendrick_2
Level 1
Level 1

[CTRL], [FN] + Pause (the Insert key)... great job from the geniuses at Hell... I mean Dell.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: