cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 2.5 update december 2005

rpaquin
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to update windows version of LMS 2.5 to december 2005 update.

The upgrade file runs, verifies integrity, extracts the zip into the temp folder then launches the setup.exe... and does absolutely nothing.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I opened a TAC call but as usual they were their normal helpful selfs when it came to Ciscoworks support... umm yah.. ahh.. how do you spell ciscoworks?

Not to get off on a rant but when will Cisco ever actually think this product is worthy of support and assign someone with any amount of technical talent to support it? Overall, I've never gotten anyone at Cisco who could provide support for this product and I think I'm off to my usual way of fixing this issue, which is to dump the database off and do a complete rebuild. I will wager anyone I can get that done first before I get someone intelligent at Cisco on the line to work with me on this issue.

5 Replies 5

miheg
Level 5
Level 5

Try to to queue you case for the brussels TAC. Thet are really good. They all mad but that just an advantage with this product. ;-)

Check the Ciscoworks_setup0xx.log for clues on what fails.

Are you running the upgrade on the console of the server (if it is windows) remote IS NOT console.

Bring down the ciscoworks management daemon before starting the upgrade and kill off and remaining cw processes still running.(Maybe even put the management daemon on manual starting and reboot the machine)

Cheers,

Michel

Hi all,

full ACK with Michel!! The Brussels TAC is a really nice one. I always calculate the time when to open a cases to be sure they are assigned to Brussels TAC!

;-)

Best time is starting fom 8:00 to 15:00 MEST!

You are talking about .exe file. So i assume you are running windows.

Have a try and stop the Daemon Manger per hand.

Open a DOS Box and type: net stop crmdmgtd

Or navigate to Services and have a look for Cisco Daemon Manager.

This solved the installtion prob on one of my installations!

Ans as Michel recommended check the Ciscoworks_setup0xx.log for detailes.

Best regards,

Frank

When I have problems I use the net stop crmdmgtd

and also sometimes turn everthing to disabled in services (all ciscoworks services)

Then reboot the machine and try the install again.

What a palava.

rpaquin
Level 1
Level 1

Update...

As usual cisco tac was completely unhelpful, provided no support at all.

Their first avenue of troubleshooting was to ask me if the machine supported ciscoworks.

Duh.. if it is running ciscoworks, one would think it would continue to run ciscoworks right? I've been doing Ciscoworks for 8 years, I know what the software will run on and what it won't run on.

After wading my way thru Cisco support in mexico, I was passed to someone who in level 2, who had no idea either, but who had returned my call at 5pm while i was going out the door. So I suggested he research, see what he could find and give me a ring back. That was Monday. A week later on monday, he calls me back. He hadn't researched or even looked at the issue.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, I had figured out that some third party application was loading and causing the hangup (after a heck of lot of rebooting and cleaning out of services, someone had previously used this box for other stuff.)

Cisco seemed a bit miffed that I wouldn't tell them what it was but in my mind, Cisco doesn't deserve to know for the kind and level of support they supplied.

I'm so thoroughly disgusted with Cisco Ciscoworks support that I can't even express it in civil words.

Application support is a bottom-tier citizen at Cisco. What a shame, and they want to get into change management and other apps?

Rule 1

Never install ciscoworks on anything else then a clean install of windows.

Rule 2

Just ciscoworks nothing else.

Cheers,

Michel