Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.0.1 on VM

Nishant Jethwa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Our LMS system was running fine and has been for 4 months up until a few days ago - unable to browse to it either remotely or locally on the box, just get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". Initially, as we had a few windows update etc rolled out on our servers, I thought restart would be a good step to carry out first, so I did. Upon restart, I noticed that the Web Server service didn't start, so I started this, it improves from the inital error but only to the point where now I get "Service Temporarily Unavailable"

I'm not aware of any changes so a little confused as to why this has stopped working.

6 Replies 6

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

The services should be started by the daemon manager

You should start by troubleshooting the processes. Use doc below for guidance

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-14520

Cheers,

Michel

Thanks for the link.

Apache seems to be in a state 'Never started'.

Looking at mod_jk file within NMSRoot\MDC\Apache\logs, shows a lot of 'Failed to open socket to 127.0.0.1:9009' and 'connecting to backend failed. Tomcat is probably not started or is listening on the wrong port'.

View the netstat -anob, there is only one connection using tomcat.exe

127.0.0.1:9007     0.0.0.0     LISTENING

There isn't anything else on this port and there is also nothing on 9009

I checked to ensure the causer is part of the administrators group and it is. I've reset the causer password (specified a normal password that meets the requirements).

Haven't done anything with the certificates, thought I'd provide this so far to see if this rings a bell before taking that step.

I had an issue a couple of months back with similar symptoms following a restart due to Windows Update. In my case the root cause was a 2nd NIC on my CW server trying unsuccessfully to get an address via DHCP (no helper-address on that VLAN). It only started doing that after a Windows Update-induced restart. No telling if that's your problem but it's an easy enough check.

The only other thing that comes to mind is rolling back the Windows Updates you referred to. I'm not aware of any current issues but they have been known to introduce anomalous behavior in the past. That's one downside of running LMS on a Windows Server - even even Windows server 2008 R2 wants to roll out too many (in my opinion) updates requiring server restart. Unless corporate policy absolutely requires them, I'd counsel that Automatic Updates not be enabled on a Windows CiscoWorks server.

The server runs on a VM box and there is only 1 NIC configured and running.  I've tried rolling back, but it seems 2 updates it won't allow. I'm hoping the VM has snapshots that I can restore to but meanwhile I'm still pulling my hair out as to what might be the cause.

I've attached pdshow and netstat - anob output.

if this is still an issue, could you please have a look at the /etc/hosts file and verify that there is NO entry of the servers' hostname pointing to 127.0.0.1; i.e. if there is an entry of this form:

127.0.0.1          LMSServerName

remove it and restart dmgtd.

Have you tried to run resetcasuser.exe ?

If the casuser user has been modified or even disabled you also get a lot of services that won't start.

Cheers,

Michel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: