Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.0 Installation on a 2008 R2

haidar_alm
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm trying to install LMS 4.0 on a 2008 R2, I got a message saying that this is not supported. Going through Cisco documentation I read the following:

Caution

If you want to upgrade the operating system from Windows 2003 or Windows 2008 to Windows 2008 R2, you must first complete upgrading the operating system, and then install the LMS 4.0.x Windows 2008 R2 patch.

I'm a bit confused because i'm not upgrading the operating system, this is a fresh install.

I tried to run this in compatibility mode, selected 2008, and running it as an Admin, this time I'm getting a Locale error stating that this is only supported in US English or Japanese. I've changed the system locale to US English, still getting the same error.

Please see attached file...

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

this is what I found:

- the server is part of a domain and you have installed as a domain user, so global policies can interfere with privileges needed for the installation;

- you have installed as user "almoh99"; this user must be member of the local administrator group - or even better, start the installation as the local administrator instead of a user;

- If you have any anitvirus software installed, you should disabled it while the installation is running; typically on-access scanning of files are the cause of problems, not only while installing LMS, but also while LMS is running;

- If you have an antivirus sw, keep in mind that you should exclude the LMS installation directroy (CSCOpx) and the directory for the database backup from on-access scanning after installation;

- also, you have not changed the TEMP and TMP variable of the user to something short (e.g. like C:\Windows\Temp);

you have installed LMS into the default path

C:\Program Files (x86)

About this, I am unclear myself if this is a good option because per instruction the installation path should not include brackets (); That is why I make a new directory e.g. C:\Applications\ (!while you are logged in as a local administrator!) and use this for the installation on 64 bit OS;

- if you are not using IPv6 I would disable the IPv6 stack of the Network Driver (in properties of the NIC);

Ask your colleagues to revert to a good snapshot to start with. But before starting the installation, first read this doc and follow the steps to prepare your server for installation:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9132

View solution in original post

file copy from DVD is not supported and I doubt that this will work.

In the past, there have been a couple of issues reported on the forum when this was done.

If the server is running in a VM ask your server colleagues if they can map the DVD drive to you server during installation. Also, what could work (but myself I never tried it... ) is making an iso image from the DVD and install software that simulates the DVD drive,

or the easiest thing, downlod the eval version and use this to insatall from a file instead of a DVD - that is what I usually do.

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

corjam
Level 1
Level 1

If you are installing this on a fresh version of 2008 R2, you will need the (CiscoWorks_LMS_4.0.x_WIN2K8_R2) patch during the install of LMS 4.0. When you begin the installation process it will ask for this file, so you will need to make sure it's in a directory locally on the system so that you can browse to it. Once you've selected the file the installation will continue.

Thanks for reply, the installation didn't ask  for this file. I looked through some installation documents and I beleive that I'm supposed to run the patch, and then point the patch installation to the location where the LMS 4.0 setup file is, and then they will both install at the same time.

I tried this, went through the installation process, finished installation but for some reason I cannot see the ciscoworks software being installed. It only created a folder to uninstall it, but nothing else.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If it is a new installation, you should be using the current version - CiscoPrime / CiscoWorks LMS 4.1. then you won't need to worry about the patch mentioned above. Is there a reason why you are tyring to setup a non-current version?

Hope this helps.

Thanks for reply as well. It's because management ordered the 4.0. I believe it's a free upgrade to 4.1, but i'm not sure if I can just go ahead and download it from the cisco website, or whether 4.0 needs to be installed and the upgraded. Wil. investigate this.

We're currently running ver 4.0.1 and tried to upgrade to the latest (4.1) but it wouldn't allow me to upgrade because our license only supports upgrading from 4.0 to 4.0.1.

I'm getting frustrated now.

I've installed the software based on the documentation provided by cisco to start the patch, point it to the LMS 4 installation file, everything installs fine, i don't get any errors, I restart server as instructed, but then the software is not there.

When I go to programs files, there is a ciscoworks folder but it's only got an un-install link to it and nothing else.

I can't even un-install it, so i'm having to as my server team coleague to revert back to a previous snapshot everytime.

Corjam,

Upgrading LMS 4.0 / 4.0.1 to LMS 4.1 requires a Product Activation Key (PAK) and susbsequent license file from Cisco. If your LMS 4 is covered with Smartnet you can get this via the Cisco Product Upgrade Tool.

haidar_alm
Level 1
Level 1

please view attached file...

please provide the output of the following commands, launched in a DOS box:

set

systeminfo

and also post the installation log file which should be located in C:\

Please find attached compressed document.

Many thanks,

this is what I found:

- the server is part of a domain and you have installed as a domain user, so global policies can interfere with privileges needed for the installation;

- you have installed as user "almoh99"; this user must be member of the local administrator group - or even better, start the installation as the local administrator instead of a user;

- If you have any anitvirus software installed, you should disabled it while the installation is running; typically on-access scanning of files are the cause of problems, not only while installing LMS, but also while LMS is running;

- If you have an antivirus sw, keep in mind that you should exclude the LMS installation directroy (CSCOpx) and the directory for the database backup from on-access scanning after installation;

- also, you have not changed the TEMP and TMP variable of the user to something short (e.g. like C:\Windows\Temp);

you have installed LMS into the default path

C:\Program Files (x86)

About this, I am unclear myself if this is a good option because per instruction the installation path should not include brackets (); That is why I make a new directory e.g. C:\Applications\ (!while you are logged in as a local administrator!) and use this for the installation on 64 bit OS;

- if you are not using IPv6 I would disable the IPv6 stack of the Network Driver (in properties of the NIC);

Ask your colleagues to revert to a good snapshot to start with. But before starting the installation, first read this doc and follow the steps to prepare your server for installation:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9132

Dear Martin,

Thanks for your reply. I've done everything that you've suggested and followed the instructions by the letter. Everything seemed fine and installation went smoothly. Unfortunatley I'm getting the same results as in the image posted in my previous reply.

I've attached the installation file for your review.

many thanks,

It seems, that you have Veritas running on the server - I do not know in which way this can influence the installation...

I cannot see any hint of the patch you have to execute to start  the installation of LMS 4.0.x on a Windows 2008 R2 server but Iam not  sure if this patch writes to the installation log - that's why I ask  again if you have started the patch ?

Your problem is, that the pre-install scripts are not executed.

[line 1020]     ***Executing preinstall hooks

[line 1021]     INFO: have 0 scripts of type PREINSTALL

There should be around 80 scripts of type PREINSTALL

These  scripts gets and sets some properties which are essentials for the  installation. As a consequence, when the actual installation starts  [line 1026 and 1036] the threads end with a  "java.io.FileNotFoundExeption" [line 1127]

Where did you get the bits of LMS 4.0 from ? Is it a DVD  or did you downloaded the eval version? - If you downloaded or copied  the bits in any way it is possible that they did get corrupted; Also, I  could imaging a permission problem, so that while starting the  installation and files should get written to disk this is forbidden or  prohibited by any kind of SW or function (DEP, antivirus, etc)

Here is the filesize and MD5 hash of the eval version:

Release     4.0.0

Filename     lms-4-0-Win-eval.zip

Release Date     14/Oct/2011

Description     LMS 4.0 Evaluation Software for Windows

Size     1801646.345703125 KB (1844885858 bytes)

Router Checksum     0xfb1e

MD5     c4221a6874a08e42ea31d2eb806f6150

and the link to downlod the eval version

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=283434800&flowid=19062&softwareid=280775102&os=Windows&release=4.0.0&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Hi Martin,

I copied the installation files from DVD into the local server and install it that way.

It's a clean copy of 2008 R2 and there is no antivirus, or group policy. I've also disabled DEP as per your advise in the previous reply. What I find strange is that the instalaltioni process looks fine and I don't get any errors, however, when the installation finishes and I reboot the server, all I get is an uninstall link and nothing else on it.

I will try and copy the files again to the local server from the DVD just in case something got corrupted.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco