Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.2 Fault Monitor - Device Name and Frequency of Events

jvalentine22
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I've just installed LMS 4.2, like it a lot so far.  But I'm running into a few problems, and I'm hoping someone out here has a suggestion. 

In the Fault Monitor, the Device Name column shows the device's IP address rather than the host name.  We need for it to show the host name, for ease of troubleshooting; most folks don't have the IP addresses memorized.    Likewise, when an email is sent out for an event, the managed device field also shows up as the device's IP address.

The devices were all discovered with their IP addresses rather than a host name...should LMS have automatically found their host names?  Regardless, I manually updated all of the device's host names, yet they still display as an IP address in the fault monitor. 

Also, it appears I need to figure out some way to throttle alerts.  One particular device will report an event (ie a temperature out of range) dozens of times in a polling period...several per second, even though it's the same alert.  Any suggestions on where I can throttle this?  My inbox is exploding.                  

If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it!

Jen

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dpatzold1979
Level 1
Level 1

to make a long story short lms is trying to use DNS to resolve the names.

So you need to enter them into DNS or use a "HOSTS" file on the cisco works/lms server.

we use a hosts file and when we add a new switch we have to edit the hosts file and put in the new name.

maybe they will pull the displayname from the switch config one day.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

dpatzold1979
Level 1
Level 1

to make a long story short lms is trying to use DNS to resolve the names.

So you need to enter them into DNS or use a "HOSTS" file on the cisco works/lms server.

we use a hosts file and when we add a new switch we have to edit the hosts file and put in the new name.

maybe they will pull the displayname from the switch config one day.

Thanks for the info.  Super frustrating!  I went ahead and added everything to DNS, although I admit I haven't been able to see where in LMS I can define our DNS server - just our SMTP server.  Is it even necessary to do that?

I am having the IP vs. device name issue as well. The funny thing is if you hover over the IP of the device in Fault Monitor, you can see the device name listed. I was on a conference call with Cisco recently and pointed this out. One of the reps said the faults and alerts showing IP address issue should be fixed in version 4.2.3, but I don't know if he was basing this on first-hand knowledge or was just assuming. Does anyone know if this is the case?

As for throttling alerts. I had a false positive alert from a device that I put in a custom fault group and changed the threshold on to keep them from firing. You probably have already resolved this issue, but I didn't see a resolution listed here. You would have to determine if raising a threshold for a device is adequate for your situation.

Thank you,

Mark