Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Maxrun limited to one year?

Hi,

I intend to implement a monitoring solution based on eem tcl script that should always be running on the router.

From documentation I thought it would not be a problem, but there seems to be a hidden maximum (or a bug?) of one year runtime.

Here an exerpt for  "event_register_none"

(Optional) Maximum run time of the script (specified

in SSSSSSSSSS[.MMM] format, where SSSSSSSSSS

must be an integer representing seconds between 0

and 4294967295, inclusive, and where MMM must

be an integer representing milliseconds between 0

and 999). If this argument is not specified, the default

20-second run-time limit is used.

now I have my eem script beginning with:

::cisco::eem::event_register_none tag manu_test queue_priority normal maxrun 4294967295.999 nice 0

but on the router when I use:

"show event manager policy registered user "  I get the following output:

3    script    user    none                Off   Mon Nov 26 11:44:56 2012  bwmon_XR.tcl

manu_test: none: policyname {bwmon_XR.tcl} sync {yes}

nice 0 queue-priority normal maxrun 31536000.999 scheduler rp_primary Secu none

persist_time: 4294967295 seconds,  username: eem_usr

I have the same problem on IOS and IOS XR.

Does anyone know a workaround or has experience with scripts that are intended to run longer than a year? (best practices, etc?)

Maybe a combination of  event_register_timer watchdog ,  appl_setinfo and appl_reqinfo will do to keep track of the state in my tcl script?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, maxrun on a number of platforms is limited to a year.  I have seen at least one customer use a watchdog to check to see that the policy is still running and if not it restarts it.  They just looked at "show event manager policy active".  If the policy was not on the active queue, it was executed.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, maxrun on a number of platforms is limited to a year.  I have seen at least one customer use a watchdog to check to see that the policy is still running and if not it restarts it.  They just looked at "show event manager policy active".  If the policy was not on the active queue, it was executed.