cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring total bandwidth in a 6500 chassis

robluechtefeld
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know if Cisco has an OID that can be monitored with Cacti  that represents the total traffic for all interfaces flowing through a  Cisco 6500 chassis?  If so, is it Sup specific?  I have Sup720s and  Sup32s that I would like to monitor.

5 Replies 5

I don't think so.

Regards,

Smitesh

of what benefit would this be?

The Cat65xx series is a modular type and you can enter modules with 10Gig and 10/100Mbit interfaces; in the number you would get I cannot see any informative value it would just be an accumulation of numbers to get a bigger number - it does not tell you if you have a performance bottleneck a bandwith boottleneck or anything else. To monitor the system health of a device, monitor CPU, Temperature, Power and Fan status; For bandwith/utilization monitoring you should monitor each interface individually.

I'm not looking to solve a bottleneck issue, and I'm already monitoring the system health.  What it would provide me is the total bandwidth that is passing through the core of my network.  Is that a useful number for solving an issue? No.  Is it a useful number for speaking to my management to describe how much traffic we are handling in the core?  I think it is.

I realize I can monitor all the individual ports and sum up the traffic, but that would be a pain.  I was hoping for an easier way.  I guess that doesn't exist.

... that's great if you do not need to solve a bottleneck issue with this ;-)

- and yes, you are right it can serve as a number to show the traffic in the core passing this device. In most cases I thought, you can group the interfaces of a core device to a few major types and cummulate on this - anyway it can be a pain..

this is not excatly what you want, but perhaps it can help: "backplane platform monitoring"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/plat_mon.html

I never used it so I cannot tell any experince about it

another thing that comes into mind is to use EEM to accumulate the inOctets of "sh interface counters" and poll for this result on a regular basis the advantage would be to make the calculation on the device side and just poll for one var

STUART KENDRICK
Level 1
Level 1

We track sysTraffic.0 and sysTrafficPeak.0, to get a feel for backplane utilization

And we also sum all the interface counters to create a "total bytes passing through this box" graph ... yeah, it's tedious, also error-prone (every year or so we add/remove interfaces and then forget to update Cacti ...)

hth,

--sk

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: