cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime Infrastructure 3.7 cli admin user

c.gierula
Level 1
Level 1

I find the Command Reference Guide for Cisco Prime Infrastructure 3.7 confusing on the topic of how can I create another admin account.

With the username command, the only options are Network-Admin, Security-Admin or operator. 

But the the command reference states that you can create more users (with admin, security-admin, network-admin, and operator privileges) with SSH access to the CLI, you must enter the username command in configuration mode.

When I use the command my options are security-admin, network-admin, and operator. None of these accounts have full administrative privileges.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

c.gierula
Level 1
Level 1

I wanted to change the admin password setup during the install. I found that in version 3.7 Cisco introduced a new Cli command “change-password”. Using this command, a user can change their own passwords. This command is available for all roles.

note:  Super-user (admin Only one super-user is allowed which is created during the initial setup.

If you ssh to the appliance as "admin" you can use the cli command "change password" to change the admin password.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

pieterh
VIP
VIP

there should exist an account "root"  with all privileges, that can create admin accounts

second I think you did not enter the configuration mode but are still in "exec mode", so your commands only apply to existing users

"Use EXEC mode system-level config or configure command to access configuration mode"

c.gierula
Level 1
Level 1

I wanted to change the admin password setup during the install. I found that in version 3.7 Cisco introduced a new Cli command “change-password”. Using this command, a user can change their own passwords. This command is available for all roles.

note:  Super-user (admin Only one super-user is allowed which is created during the initial setup.

If you ssh to the appliance as "admin" you can use the cli command "change password" to change the admin password.

admin role is only privileged to admin user as it has shell full permission. shell privilege is restricted to other admin who is part of  security-admin, network-admin, and operator. You can create another admin account with these privilege to leverage exec privilege with ADE-OS level not to linux shell.

Hope this clarifies the  concern.

Regards,

Renjith

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: