Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS

mellalBrahim
Level 1
Level 1

hi all,

i'am stucking in pickle, my replication link gets saturation almost 24H, so for that we are planned to increse the bandwith as showing bellow,

my wonderings are :

once we have increase our bandwidth, i want to apply the Qos, on that link. dispate we use Leased Ligne, and GRE tunnel,

can i apply the Qos on GRE encrypted Tunnels,

if yes :

please can someone guide me to improve this

IF NO:

can i apply this on our interface connected to the ISP dispate we use encrypted GRE tunnel

thanks in advance.

topology.png

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure what kind of QoS  you trying to apply on GRE tunnel, based DSCP ?

check some guide to help you (since you have not mentioned the device model and IOS code) - this generic document can help you.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/quality-of-service-qos/qos-policing/10106-qos-tunnel.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

BTW, the document @balaji.bandi referenced is dated March 2015.  Unsure all the restrictions, noted in that document, still apply to current IOS variants.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

". . . my replication link gets saturation almost 24H, so for that we are planned to increse the bandwithmy replication link gets saturation almost 24H, so for that we are planned to increse the bandwith . . ."

Insufficient information, to say for sure, but often unless you increase bandwidth by lots and lots, you often have the same issues (just paying more for your WAN bandwidth).

"once we have increase our bandwidth, i want to apply the Qos . . ."

Unclear why you need to wait to increase bandwidth to use QoS.  Often, QoS is much, much better for mitigation than increasing bandwidth.  (NB: that's not to say increasing bandwidth cannot be of benefit, just, often, QoS, is much more effective in many cases, like the one you describe.  Also, the two, QoS and additional bandwidth, are not mutually exclusive.)

"can i apply the Qos on GRE encrypted Tunnels,"

Usually yes, but you haven't described your platforms.

"can i apply this on our interface connected to the ISP dispate we use encrypted GRE tunnel"

Also usually yes, and sometimes you want QoS on both tunnel and physical interfaces.  In most cases, having QoS on the tunnel interface is "better".

"please can someone guide me to improve this"

Need much more information, about your environment, to provide good suggestions.

I will say, your device only QoS, usually can only "optimize" more than a two node connection "sacrificing" WAN bandwidth.  Sometimes, though, a topology like yours can be "optimized", but much depends on where your traffic actually flows (i.e. to/from).

In a multipoint topology (with more than two nodes), Cisco does have a latter variant of DMVPN which does dynamic bandwidth shaping, which can go a long way in avoiding "sacrificing" WAN bandwidth.  Personally, I've never used that variant, so cannot comment on how it appears to work in the "real world".  (Also, again without knowing particulars of your platforms, don't know if your device currently or might support that DMVPN variant.)

hi, 

first thanks for you response,

accually we use a link with 20Mbps, and since we have a lot of congestion almost all the day, iam confused between increase our bandwidth or, apply the QOS( iam not familliar with QOS) 

if the Qos can avoide us from this senario, i prefered to use Qos, 

my platform : Cisco IOS Software, C2900 Software (C2900-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.7(3)M8, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

for both sides,

we use the DMPVN.

which information you need ? 

many thanks.

You just have the 3 nodes, as shown as R3, R4 and R5?

What's the WAN interfaces physical interface bandwidth on all 3 routers?  (e.g. perhaps all 100 Mbps?)

What's the logical interface bandwidth, for the same interfaces, on all 3 routers?  For that, also any difference in those bandwidths to or from the WAN cloud and/or and difference in logical caps between sites?

Which router is the hub?

Any direct DMVPN traffic between non-hub sites NOT transiting the hub?

Where, exactly, do you see the saturation?  I.e. between what routers?  Further, is that saturation in both directions or just one direction?

BTW, just checked whether your platform supports Adaptive QoS over DMVPN.  From what I can see on the Cisco Feature Navigator, it's only supported on an ASR1000-RP2, 3.16.7S (and later 3.16) and with Advanced Enterprise.