cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Radius Using NPS on Windows 2008

lopema2013
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to set up Radius at a remote business partners site and am wanting to ensure the Cisco side is correct.

My manager has set up a Windows 2008 Server using NPS for this effort. My config is pretty straight forward and simple.(See Below) When I test it fails every time.

I can ping the Radius servers IP without issue and when I test I am seeing this message in the logs.

Oct 23 14:20:42.029: %RADIUS-4-RADIUS_DEAD: RADIUS server 172.1.2.79:1812,1813 is not responding.
Oct 23 14:20:42.029: %RADIUS-4-RADIUS_ALIVE: RADIUS server 172.1.2.79:1812,1813 is being marked alive.

One of my main questions is since I am "seeing" the server from the switch could the issue be between the Radius server and the host with AD on it? What are some gotchas to watch out for? I have never built a Radius server before so I am not sure what I could be missing. I am also noticing that when I log into the server hosting Radius I have to sign in with username@domain.com.  Any other server in the domain I can sign in with username only. Not sure if that has an bearing but it is an oddity I noticed.

Any help is appreciated.

Radius config:

Switch1#sh run | sec aaa                                                  

aaa group server radius [Server Group]

server name Win-Rad

Switch1#sh run | sec radius

radius server Win-Rad

address ipv4 172.1.2.79 auth-port 1812 acct-port 1813

key {My Key}

Failed Test:

Switch1#test aaa group radius server 172.1.2.79 [username] [password] legacy

Attempting authentication test to server-group radius using radius

No authoritative response from any server.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for the reply.  I did manage to find the issue after looking again. I figured out that the service was not running on the NPS server. Once I started it and enabled the correct connection profile it worked like a charm.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Have you checked that the radius key matches?

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Thanks for the reply.  I did manage to find the issue after looking again. I figured out that the service was not running on the NPS server. Once I started it and enabled the correct connection profile it worked like a charm.