Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommended Lan Management solution

moh123321
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a LAN Management solution from Cisco based on the following specifications, any recommended one?

The other question, what is the difference between CiscoWorks LMS and Cisco Prime Infrastructure? which one is considered a LAN Management solution

--------------------------------------

The following are the minimum required specifications for the centralized LAN management system:

a.Shall be provided by the same vendor providing the core and access switches in order to optimize performance and remove any incompatibilities.

b.Shall provide a Web-based view of the status of the entire network with browser access to real-time device status, operational and configuration

functions.

c.Shall provide network inventory and device change management, network configuration and software image management, network availability, and

Syslog analysis.

d.Shall provide real-time fault analysis for network devices. Shall be able to generate intelligent traps that can be locally displayed, email-ed or forwarded

to other network management systems.

e.Shall be able to do Layer 2 device and connectivity discovery, show detailed topology views, configure Virtual LANs, track end-stations, and perform

Layer2/3 path analysis.

8 Replies 8

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco Prime LAN Management Solution would be the product covering the above requirements.

There are several threads covering the differences between it and Cisco Prime Infrastructure. Please have a look at one of them and post back if you still have further questions.

Reference thread

Cisco comparison LMS vs. PI

Thanks Marvin for your quick answer, but the link ( reference thread) giving me the following error:

Forbidden File or Application

Could you pls post the content of this link here in the forum?

Best Regards

M

I'm not sue why that thread isn't coming up for you - it works for me even when I'm not logged into CSC.

But in any case here's the relevant post I made a couple of months ago, copied for your information:

Mar 13, 2013 10:05 PM                             (in response to michaelatef)

Cisco Endorsed what is the Link between NCS, Prime LMS and Prime infrastructure

Prime  Infrastructure has for the most part replaced NCS as Cisco's wireless  (and, to some extent, wired) infrastructure management tool. NCS is  still being updated (1.1.3.2 dated 7 Feb 2013) but only incrementally.  Most development work is focused on the flagship PI product.

Along  the way, Prime Infrastructure (currently at version 1.3) has acquired  wired infrastructure management (among other things) but has not yet  reached parity with Cisco Prime LMS. The roadmap is targeting much  greater (but not complete) feature parity with LMS when PI 2.0 is  released later this year.

Prime  LMS (current release is 4.2.3) is the sucessor to Cisco LMS /  CiscoWorks LMS and RWAN / CiscoWorks 2000 / CWSI / CiscoWorks etc. It is  the most full-featured product for Cisco wired infrastructure.

So,  back to your question. Build one appliance with PI 1.3, the other with  LMS 4.2 (patched to 4.2.3). Focus on following up that technology   upgrade with process and people development / adaptation. Watch for PI  2.0 to make an informed choice as to whether it is time to replace LMS  altogether. (I remain hopeful yet doubtful on this last point.)

I would recommend you Prime LMS 4.2.3. That fullfill you all needs. For more detail you can go to the below link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/netmgtsw/ps6504/ps6528/ps11200/data_sheet_c78-697479.html

Thanks Ravi,

Is Prime LMS is a windows server based application or VMware? as it has to be windows based in addition is it a separate product or part of prime infrastructure?

i.e if I want to buy Prime LMS should I buy first the Prime Infrastructure ?

Best

M

Prime LMS can be run in any of several server options - Windows physical server, Windows on a virtual server (ESXi or Hyper-V), Solaris, VM on a physical Cisco appliance or as a VM with OS included (a customized Linux) on ESXi. The last option is increasingly what customers are using because it is easiest to setup and doesn't require separate OS licensing, installation and configuration.Cisco provides an OVA file (set of files actually - for small medium and large installations) that already has all the OS and ESX parameters built-in.

For new installations, LMS is currently included as part of a Prime Infrastructure purchase. (This will change with PI 2.0 due out later this year.) The "Lifecycle' licenses purchased with PI covers how many devices you can manage with LMS and PI combined. You can install one product, the other or both (on separate servers) depending on your requirement

Ordering details are covered in depth in the data sheets linked from Cisco's Prime Infrastructure product home page.

Thanks Marvin,

When I tried to open the link , gives me the following error :

Forbidden File or Application,

Looks like it needs a diffrent account, any idea about this account and what is required to create it?

It sounds like the userid you setup to post here is only setup for Cisco Support Community.

You just need to complete a free registration for your cisco.com account as a customer. The links above aren't restricted beyond requiring that level of registration.