Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommended PPPoE Auth; DSL ISP Router or Bridge to FPR1010

TheGoob
Level 4
Level 4

Hello

I was wondering if there was any benefit or lack of to having my FPR1010 do the PPPoE and have my DSL Router in Bridge Mode.

I ask because I seem to, though not a lot, lose my Internet from time to time. I unplug DSL Router and plug it back in and it co9nnects and the FPR1010 grabs authentication. One would think well it is the DSL Router... But this dropping only ever started since I began using bridge mode for the FPR1010 to authenticate. But what throws me off is, if it is the FPR, why does only rebooting the DSL Router fix it? If it is the DSL Router, why did this only start with the usage of Bridge Mode?

17 Replies 17

Interesting. I've not rebooted the firewall in my case. It usually heals itself quickly with just a couple of pings lost. But sometimes someone has to physically reseat the cable. I've replaced the cable without luck. And now I've put a Cisco switch in between the firewall and the ISP equipment. The later has been positive for over 24H now, but we'll see in the long run.

I also don't understand why the link lights are on and the dashboard is orange. It's like there's a layer in between. I mean if I run shutdown on a port in a Cisco switch it's instantly down. It feels like there's a missing safety net/recovery feature. Or the feature should be more intense and not give up that quickly. What if I deploy this device far out in no mans land and has to bring someone on-site to reboot, not fun.

edit: The logs from the ISP confirms the interface going up and down at those timestamps too

So did anyone reach out to you to resolve this? Have you figured it out or was it everyone sees it but no one knows?

No I've not figured it out. TAC is not able to either. Right now I'm using my workaround