cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Resetting local enable PW

cmparish5
Level 1
Level 1

I want to reset my local enable secret as it keeps denying me priv-exec mode when I console into the switch.  I know that when you need to log into a switch via console you either create a separate authentication profile or modify existing one as per below...

aaa authentication login default group ABCD local

(OR)

aaa authentication login console local

line con 0

login authentication console

However I see my switch actually has both of the above configured.  I believe that the first method trumps the second method.  Can I just delete the config shown in method 2 then configure enable secret Cisco1?

If I just configure enable secret Cisco1 (since I can still get into it when it's on the network) will this effectively change the local enable secret when logging in via console?

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on requirement, if you looking central authentication or you looking for console access to be local users ? rather radius ?

here is example and explained more :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security-vpn/terminal-access-controller-access-control-system-tacacs-/10384-security.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

So if my config is as shown below, when logging in via console and successfully getting to the ROUTER> prompt, I need to enter the local enable secret password as defined below.  If what I think is the local enable secret isn't working, can I just go into it via SSH when it's online and change the enable secret?

enable secret 5 $1$SIGt$dNmBr.cBt8GZnI78QGNhF/
!
username engineer privilege 15 secret 5 $1$O7mK$rpO4vLzhxNeag/vcEVmIl0

!

aaa authentication login default group ABCD local
aaa authentication login CONSOLE local

aaa authentication enable default group ABCD enable

aaa authorization exec default group ABCD local if-authenticated

!

!

line con 0
exec-timeout 30 0
logging synchronous
login authentication CONSOLE
stopbits 1

Given the posted configuration you should be able to SSH to the device, in enable mode go into configuration mode and configure a new enable secret password. After making this change be sure to remember to copy running config to startup config.

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: