Views
Helpful
Replies

RME 4.2 add tasks issues

Mario Elia
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a problem with applying User Created Templates in RME. I can create them fine - One Task, with multiple Templates below it (the two templates are identical, save for a single IP).

When I create the job, I select the appropriate devices and task, but the problem arises when I try to "Add Instance..." of the template. In the dialog box that pops up, everything is greyed out (see attachment image_1.jpg) and I am unable to select which template I want to use for these particular devices. More so, if I do add the template, when I click on "View CLI..." the commands from both templates are there to be executed (see attachment image_2.jpg). And lastly, if I try to edit the added instances, the dialog box is once again greyed out (see attachment image_3.jpg).

I hope that there is a way in which I can have multiple templates created under one task, but be able to select and execute them individually. I do not want to have to create a new task for each little change I need to make.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Correct, all templates under a task applicable to the select devices will be run.  Say for example you want to have one template run in config mode

and one run in enable mode as two parts of the same task.  This is one reason why you may want to have multiple templates in a task.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What you are seeing is expected.  If you want different commands to be applicable to different devices (in the same template) you need to use a parameterized template, and then create a parameter XML file on the server to specify the values per device.  Consult the context sensitive online help when defining the template for the exact syntax of the parameter file.  However, your template would look like:

clear crypto session remote $ip

And your parameter file would define the variable $ip for each device.

I don't believe I need parameterized template, I don't think I explained properly:

I have 700 devices, 350 connecting to 10.10.10.1 and 350 connecting to 10.10.10.2. I have a template set up as "clear crypto", and within that template, I have 2 tasks - one to clear from 10.10.10.1 and the other to clear from 10.10.10.2.

Can I not run just ONE of these tasks within the template? What is the point of having different tasks if they all run together?

Thanks

I understand.  No, you will not be able to do what you want with one task.  You will need to create two tasks each with their own template.  Then pick the first set of devices to apply the 10.10.10.1 task, and the other set of devices to apply the 10.10.10.2 task.  That said, a parameterized template will work here, and allow you to do this with one task/template.

Thanks for the explanation, but I just want to be sure that I understand correctly - anytime I run a Task, ALL Templates under that Task will run as well? I cannot select a specific Template within that Task?

If that is the case, why have the ability to add multiple Templates?

(I'm sorry, I'm just finding this a little confusing...)

Thanks!

Correct, all templates under a task applicable to the select devices will be run.  Say for example you want to have one template run in config mode

and one run in enable mode as two parts of the same task.  This is one reason why you may want to have multiple templates in a task.

Hello Joseph

I now this is an old thread but I am having an issue similar to this one and I think that you would be able to tell me if what I want to accomplish is possible.

If you insert a variable as in your example "$ip" is it possible to edit at least that value in the template?

I need to configure around 700 devs to run energy wise and the only difference is that for every subnet we have a different domain. I would like to be able to do a template and then just edit the domain "variable".

Is the only way to do that to create a parameterized template in XML?

Best regards

Isaac

LMS comes with built-in Netconfig templates for EnergyWise.  But if you need to do them manually, then you will need to use the XML file or consider using OOTB templates under Config Templates instead.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: