cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting the snmp ifindex of an interface

roluce
Level 1
Level 1

Most of the management software that I've seen seems to gather information about a device by polling the device and grabbing the first interface in the ifindex list.

I would like to -force- a selected interface to ifindex 1.  Is there a command that will allow me to set the ifindex of a particular interface?

AKA, I want all of the Cisco routers with a loopback to have the loopback set to be ifindex 1 so that when the device is polled, it uses the information set on the loopback as the information that it uses to populate it's database about the router.

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't believe you can force a given interface to a specific ifindex value. You can make the system-assigned value persistent. See this link.

Ganesh Kondaveeti
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The requirement set by you to force a selected interface to particular desirable ifIndex is not possible. You can certainly make the ifIndex assigned by device itself to interface persist but can't force by any command.

SNMP config command to make the ifIndex assigned by device to persist is as below.

"snmp-server ifindex persist"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080134eec.shtml

Regards

K. Lakshmi Ganesh