Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP-3-INPUT_QFULL_ERR

srkala
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Please explain me this error : SNMP-3-INPUT_QFULL_ERR: Packet dropped due to input queue full

I want to know

a)What causes this error.

b)Is this snmp or something with the switch.

c)Any MIB related to this error.

d)What's the solution.

I know warm restart of snmp is one of the workaround but I guess it's just temporary. Also if there is a document that'd a great help.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I did not mentioned any bug, as there are a lot of them as per the platform and issue with it. A few as an example are following:

CSCsm80154    SNMP stops responding due to %SNMP-3-INPUT_QFULL_ERR

CSCto74586    SNMP - SNMP-3-INPUT_QFULL_ERR when using CISCO-ENERGYWISE-MIB

CSCti48279    %SNMP-3-INPUT_QFULL_ERR needs improvement

CSCth71681    SNMP-3-INPUT_QFULL_ERR, IPCTXERR, and/or CLC unresponsive in SCB

CSCsg60274    Snmp Engine stops responding - Error %SNMP-3-INPUT_QFULL_ERR

CSCtq48275    %SNMP-3-INPUT_QFULL_ERR generated after OIR operations

CSCtn19200    Catalyst6500 generate SNMP-3-INPUT_QFULL_ERR when receive IF-MIB.

What i mean from a genuine issue is when this error in syslog is just a symptom of other issue, like high CPU, device polled extensively or snmp engine not responding at all, etc.

The first thing to try to t/s this is to stop and start snmp engine:

To stop:

no snmp-server

To start:

Any snmp related command which was already configured before stopping snmp engine. You can see snmp configuration using show run | incl snmp-server.

If that does not fix the issue, next step is to take the traceback for SNMP ENGINE PID which i mentioned on last post. traceback can reveal any issue with snmp process.

-Thanks

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This error is simply indicative of what is happening. which is snmp packet dropped due to input queue full error.

This may be genuine problem or may be a bug. You can use the command show snmp to see the number of packets dropped.

A genunine issue will be if the device is being bombarded with huge number of snmp packets than t is probable to see this issue.

You cac check show snmp and see the packet input count and check the delta value to see what is the rate by which the device is being polled.

Secondly, snmp is a low priority protocol, and whenever there is a choice between the major job like switching/rounting and a protocol like snmp, device will discard snmp packets. Which is mostly in a situation of HIGH CPU etc.

Please check if the device is undergoing any high cpu or controlling polling, else the packets in queue will be more than your device could hold and start dropping them, to show these notification messages in syslog.

Some paltform support 'show snmp stats oid' command to show which OID is being polled mostly.

Sometime it could be a bug, which may affect the snmp process, which may affect its snmp packet processing capacity and hence drops other packets.

The solution depends on further t/shooting. You may want to share your device details, like show ver and snmp crash dump, show statck .

-Thanks

Vinod

Thanks for the reply vinod. I am not having any issue right now, Just wanted to know about it and couldn't find a document regarding this problem. Also I've found a bug : CSCsz89393 related to this issue. Is this the one you were talking about?

And what do you mean by "This may be genuine problem or may be a bug" I wanna know is there any way it is not a bug and there are troubleshooting steps? In that case can you explain.

-Thanks,

Srikant

I did not mentioned any bug, as there are a lot of them as per the platform and issue with it. A few as an example are following:

CSCsm80154    SNMP stops responding due to %SNMP-3-INPUT_QFULL_ERR

CSCto74586    SNMP - SNMP-3-INPUT_QFULL_ERR when using CISCO-ENERGYWISE-MIB

CSCti48279    %SNMP-3-INPUT_QFULL_ERR needs improvement

CSCth71681    SNMP-3-INPUT_QFULL_ERR, IPCTXERR, and/or CLC unresponsive in SCB

CSCsg60274    Snmp Engine stops responding - Error %SNMP-3-INPUT_QFULL_ERR

CSCtq48275    %SNMP-3-INPUT_QFULL_ERR generated after OIR operations

CSCtn19200    Catalyst6500 generate SNMP-3-INPUT_QFULL_ERR when receive IF-MIB.

What i mean from a genuine issue is when this error in syslog is just a symptom of other issue, like high CPU, device polled extensively or snmp engine not responding at all, etc.

The first thing to try to t/s this is to stop and start snmp engine:

To stop:

no snmp-server

To start:

Any snmp related command which was already configured before stopping snmp engine. You can see snmp configuration using show run | incl snmp-server.

If that does not fix the issue, next step is to take the traceback for SNMP ENGINE PID which i mentioned on last post. traceback can reveal any issue with snmp process.

-Thanks

You wouldn't happen to have that link where you mentioned using traceback can reveal any issues with snmp?

Those tracebacks needs to be examined against the IOS source code to check and find out what those binaries mean and hence it is not externally accessible.

Tracebacks can be decoded by TAC or Cisco Engineers. You would not have any access to it.

-Thanks

I'm confuse. Basically, What would you check if cpu, mem, I see the following from show snmp.

What would you think the issue is? I see a lot of unknown communitiy.

Also, what does (no such name errors) mean?

I was going to see if their is a way I can setup snmp acl to see who is talking to the router.

1,2 :

USILDECA_B62_RK3-SW-6509E-01#sh snmp

Chassis: SMG1650N03K

41778040 SNMP packets input

0 Bad SNMP version errors

796868 Unknown community name

0 Illegal operation for community name supplied

0 Encoding errors

80933919 Number of requested variables

0 Number of altered variables

36615881 Get-request PDUs

790568 Get-next PDUs

0 Set-request PDUs

212873 Input queue packet drops (Maximum queue size 1000)

40767992 SNMP packets output

0 Too big errors (Maximum packet size 1500)

6034 No such name errors

0 Bad values errors

0 General errors

40767992 Response PDUs

0 Trap PDUs

SNMP logging: disabled

USILDECA_B62_RK3-SW-6509E-01#sh snmp

Chassis: SMG1650N03K

41783586 SNMP packets input

0 Bad SNMP version errors

797000 Unknown community name

0 Illegal operation for community name supplied

0 Encoding errors

80942739 Number of requested variables

0 Number of altered variables

36621279 Get-request PDUs

790569 Get-next PDUs

0 Set-request PDUs

212873 Input queue packet drops (Maximum queue size 1000)

40773408 SNMP packets output

0 Too big errors (Maximum packet size 1500)

6034 No such name errors

0 Bad values errors

0 General errors

40773408 Response PDUs

0 Trap PDUs

Hello Bedevere,

This is a 2012's old thread.

I would recommend you to start a new one for this issue.

-Thanks

BTW, this unknown community error :

797000 Unknown community name

It tell you the number of SNMP packets with an unknown community name. So for example if your device has community string public123, and if someone polls your device with public1234 or anything else apart from correct string, your device would show increased packets for unknown community name.

You should check you NMS apps if they have this device added for correct SNMP string. You can check show ip socket | incl 161 to see which IP is bind to port 161, which is snmp port for polling device.

BTW a last answer on this thread.

-Thanks

Thanks Vinod

Perfect!!

Today I've a trouble like this one and this forum session saved me!

thank you guys!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: