cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP ifmib ifindex values

Richard Pidcock
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ISR4331/K9 reporting incorrect ifindex values.

RTR-003-4331-01#show snmp mib ifmib ifindex Gi0/0/0
Interface = GigabitEthernet0/0/0, Ifindex = 1
RTR-003-4331-01#

Clearly the index values is 1, however my Netflow tools is discovering this as ifindex 16 which is a LAN side subinterface.

Has anyone seen this?  Recommendations?  Gi0/0/0 is a fixed port; reload the router?  It's only been up 16 weeks; thoughts?

Richard W. Pidcock
7 Replies 7

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Recommendations are to check the current software version and use the latest advisory release , if applicable , especially if you are currently on an older version , (check if that helps)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hello,

odd indeed. What if you configure 'snmp ifindex persist' on that interface ?

Richard Pidcock
Level 1
Level 1

I think I'm going to run a code upgrade on this device tonight and then I'll report back tomorrow to let you all know if any differences after upgrade and a reload.  Thanks

Richard W. Pidcock

RTR-003-4331-01#show snmp mib ifmib ifindex Gi0/0/0.1

Use subinterface to see ifindex' netflow detect interface pass traffic in case you config subinterface then it can subinterface detect traffic pass not main interface

MHM

It seems to be discovering an interface with index value 16, which is one of my wireless client device LAN subnets.  Accordingly the traffic I see under netflow stats align with that wireless subnet.  This is very strange indeed.

Richard W. Pidcock

Richard Pidcock
Level 1
Level 1

So I ran a code upgrade (Version 17.9.4a), still no good.  I'm going to reach out to the vendor of my NetFlow monitor tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Richard W. Pidcock

Richard Pidcock
Level 1
Level 1

So it turns out that this problem was caused by a nuance within the monitoring solution software (Manage Engine OP Manager).  It was holding on to some stale data in a database that was causing the weird issues with snmp ifindex values.  Thanks to all, now I've got my issue resolved.

Richard W. Pidcock