Views
Helpful
Replies

snmp traps vs logging

k.abillama
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If I have logging configured on a switch or router, what's the added value of having snmp traps configured as well knowing that LMS is the management station I have.

Also, do you have any recent document stating what are the recommended traps to be enabled knowing that logging is already configured

Regards

3 Replies 3

ANDAFBCCO
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I'm sure some other experts might correct me if I'm wrong but logging is generally used for auditing where are snmp traps are mainly used for managment of devices. You can configure snmp to send snmp trap notifications to a CiscoWorks server and even configure them to email when an event happens. Some examples of traps would be environmental monitoring, port security, vlan creation/deletion , configuration change. We use snmp traps for significant events where we want to get immediately notified where as we log all access attempts to log into the switches. We look at the logs once a week audit whats been going on but we see the trap notifications as soon as trap is triggered.

Ok, thx for the info!

IS there any documents stating what are the recommended and mandatory traps to be sent in a switching environment?

Regards

I'm not at the office right now, but tomorrow monring I'll see what I can get for you but as for "mandatory" I don't think Cisco makes mandatory anything they just suggest and recommend certain things.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: