Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP v3: cisco switch > PRTG connectivity issue

UT_games
Level 1
Level 1

Hey everyone,

I'm having trouble making an SNMP connection between my cisco switch and my SNMP manager (a computer running PRTG or Paessler).

From the SNMP manager, I can ping the SNMP vlan interface 558 I created on the switch (10.202.4.41) and visa vera from my switch I can ping my SNMP manager (10.202.4.7).

So I do have connectivity between the two, however, SNMP for some reason is not working. I've looked over the configuration over and over but I'm at a loss.

Here is the SNMP configuration on the switch

snmp-server engineID remote 10.202.4.7 80001F8880E9630000D61FF4
snmp-server group PT-AUTHPRIV-SHA1AES128 v3 priv context vlan-557
snmp-server group PT-AUTHPRIV-SHA1AES128 v3 priv context vlan-558
snmp-server queue-length 30
snmp-server enable traps mac-notification change move threshold
snmp-server host 10.202.4.7 informs version 3 priv privSHA1AES128

snmp-server user privSHA1AES128 PT-AUTHPRIV-SHA1AES128 v3 auth sha Test69Battle priv aes 128 ThisIsATestThisIsOnlyATest

snmp-server user privSHA1AES128 PT-AUTHPRIV-SHA1AES128 remote 10.202.4.7 udp-port 162 v3 auth sha Test69Battle priv aes 128 ThisIsATestThisIsOnlyATest

The screenshot of the parameters I'm using in PRTG is attached as "image2.png"

In the "password" field I entered "Test69Battle"

In the "Data Encryption Key" field I entered "ThisIsATestThisIsOnlyATest"

Show "ip sockets" output - "image3.pnp"

I'm not sure how helpful this output will be, but I wanted to see if ports 161 and 162 were listening. They are but it appears 10.202.4.105 has a connection with port 161 already on the switch. I'm not sure if this why my 10.202.4.7 host can't connect, but I just wanted to throw that out there as well. 

I went ahead a ran "clear tcp tcb *" to clear all the tcp connections, but it didn't clear that connection on port 161 my guess because it's obviously udp...However there is no "clear udp tcb* 

I appreciate the help guys! Let me know if you have any questions!

8 Replies 8

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Do things work when you restrict PRTG to use snmp v2c (only) ?
 M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

@marce1000 wrote:

- Do things work when you restrict PRTG to use snmp v2c (only) ?
 M.

Well, I don't have SNMP version 2 configured on the cisco switch. Are you saying configure SNMP v2 on the switch and see if it can connect to PRTG that way?

Yes, I have seen many reports in the past also from people using Prime, not able to manage switches with snmp v3 - due to bugs. Have a fallback to snmp v2(c).

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Still no luck...

I added this configuration to the switch.

snmp-server community Test1 ro

snmp-server contact Test1

snmp-server location Planet Test1

Attached is what I put into PRTG....No luck again.

@marce1000 wrote:

Yes, I have seen many reports in the past also from people using Prime, not able to manage switches with snmp v3 - due to bugs. Have a fallback to snmp v2(c).

M.

I added this configuration to the switch.

snmp-server community Test1 ro

snmp-server contact Test1

snmp-server location Planet Test1

Attached is what I put into PRTG....No luck again.

- Exactly what is not working ?

M.

@marce1000 wrote:

- Exactly what is not working ?

M.

I attached the error message I get from PRTG as "image.png"

The PRTG sensor can't connect to the switch via SNMP

The sensor on PRTG I'm using is "SNMP Traffic"

- It still means that the sensor can not access the device through snmp. I would suggest that you have a try with some initial 'lab setup' where you have a virgin switch, with the basics snmp v2 settings - only. Also make sure that there is no fire-walling of some sort between the sensor and the switch.

M.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco